Mower Preference-This will be interesting!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PrecisionLawncareArkansas, Jan 20, 2006.

1. PrecisionLawncareArkansas

PrecisionLawncareArkansas LawnSite Member

I am new to this business and would love some advise on mower selection. I live in Northwest Arkansas where the grass is plentiful. Home of Wal-mart, Tyson, Georges just to name a few. So there are plenty of yards to mow.

My question is what epuipment would you buy if you were starting out. My dad owns a small engine repair shop so I get to hear the good and bad about most all equipment. Below is my selection:

Wright Standar-36" ZTR
    Great Dane-60" ZTR
    Anything Stihl-Blower, Edger, Trimmer

Also, what are your ideas about buying a used box van with a 12 foot box or a trailer to pull. It seems to me both have there upsides, but I am leaning toward the box van. One stop shop, no need to hook up, but what if it breaks down now what do you do.

Just wanting to get some ideas for new equipment.

This site is great!!!!

2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were restarting I would buy 2 Husqvarna 326LX trimmers 1 Stihl 110Fs edger 2 husq 145BT back pack blowers 1 lesco 36" wb 1 52" toro with the turbo force deck and a 60" wright stander and a 21" toro push mower. I would also buy at least a 16ft open trailer. Good Luck welcome to Lawn Site and the green industry!:waving:

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Thought I was seeing double for a minute. :dizzy:

4. PrecisionLawncareArkansas

Thanks for the reply. I wish I knew more about walk behinds, they are not popular around here. They seem to be the answer with small yards. But, in the end its about quality and speed. The faster you work and keep the quality high you should grow, right.

My motto:

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low prices is gone.

5. Gatewayuser

You got to remember to that if you get lawns with hills you need a wb. Also I know you said that getting done quickly is key but the faster you go the more dangerous and the more mistakes will be made. Safety #1 Quality #2 Speed #3

6. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I completely agree, quality and speed is the key.

If I were starting out I would go with a Dixie Chopper, thats all I have used for the past 5 years. I had a lot of junk before I bought my first chopper. I'm sure there are other mowers as good that I have never tried.

7. PrecisionLawncareArkansas

I haved a dixie dealer here in town. Dad also says they are great mowers. I wish that there was a small mower other than a pusher in 32-36 inch range. Anyone know of one and whats the best.

8. PrecisionLawncareArkansas

What do you think about the name Precision Lawncare..?

9. Gatewayuser

Good but I bet someone already has it in your state.

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I think it's a great name (that's the name of my business).