Mower Preference ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wbkuhler, Feb 17, 2003.

1. wbkuhler

wbkuhler LawnSite Member

I see most of the LCO's seem to prefer eXmark mowers. I was wondering why this is.

I am starting new this spring and getting ready to order a new mower and am trying to figure out what brand to go with.

I have looked at Grasshopper, Scag, and eXmark.

I like the Grasshopper because you can fold the deck up for easy access to blades. Would be easier to get them on and off for sharpening, etc. Also can put different attachments on the Grasshopper.

But, I see so many of you guys using exmark and other mid mount mowers I wonder if a mid mount mower does a better job or is more productive or if it is the price?

I am not concerned with the price. I am willing to pay a higher price for a better mower.

Just wondering why you guys have the preference that you do. Would help me in making my buying decision.

Thanks for any replies.:confused: :

2. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

If price is not an issue consider the Walker. They're somewhat expensive but are great at what they do. They also have the flip-up deck and have numerous attatchments which work very well. It all depends on your needs...once you have that evaluated you should be able to make your decision much easier.
    www.walkermowers.com

:jester:

3. wbkuhler

wbkuhler LawnSite Member

I quess I should hav mentioned I am going to be mowing Cemetery's, Parks, Commercial, and some Residential lawns.

I need a fast, manuverable mower to cover a lot of ground quick while doing a good mowing job.

I want the mower to be fast and not do a sloppy job.

4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Like pro turf said, look at a Walker! I use mine to mow a cemetery and the bed is excellent for putting trash in too. I have 3 and will own no other brand as long as walker is in business. I don't know of any mower that you can mow fast and make it look good. Yes, the ground speed is faster with other mowers than walker, but mowing speed is about the same. Only walker gives the best cut. Yes, they are more expensive, but well worth it!!

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I say Walker, they are by far my favorite, I just wish they were faster. I'd need two to be able to keep up. But they also have a 74" side discharge that would be really good for us.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I use Toro and Walker. No problems and love them both. With the exception of changing the oil on the Toro's.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've never seen a thread get taken over by Walker owners before. :D

Midmount is faster, more manuverable, production monsters, and cheaper to buy than the Walkers or any outfront mower.

Midmount mowers have taken the mowing market over in sales. This is for a reason, unless you have to bag a lot, the production of midmounts can't be beat.

8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I still think you get more BANG of the buck with EXMARK.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

My opinion-
    mid mount mowers are quicker and more manuverable but out front mowers can handle larger decks without scalping easily.

I use Scag
    -very reliable
    -shaft drive to the blades is probably the only big difference between Scag and other brands.
    -excellent cut

Exmark
    -seems like everyone has them so there must be something to them
    -cheaper than Scag
    -excellent cut (judging from lawns in my area done with them)

Grasshopper outfront
    -not good on hills
    -follows ground contour better than mid mount
    -smooth ride
    -problems in the past with decks, clutches, and transmissions

10. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

For me it was the dealer reputation that sold me and it just happened to be an eXmark dealer.

I stopped in at one of the big dealerships today to look at their wright stander and john deere stander and the only thing on their floor was 2 last year model bunton walk behinds, 1 ferris demo and the rest was all home owner equipment. 3 weeks ago I was in there and they had all their commercial stuff out. Go figure.

Go eXmark, you won't regret it.