Mower Preventive Maintenance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bret Austin, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Bret Austin

Bret Austin LawnSite Member

I'm new to this forum, I have an established lawn fertilizing business. This year I bid and got a large mowing contract for a local factory. I went out and bought a JD F925. I don't want this to turn into a discussion on my mower selection, I bought it because it was priced right and it works for the specified property. What I am curious about is how often I should be greasing and what other preventive maintenance should be done on a large mower like this? It's a 1995 model 3cyl. Yanmar diesel (about 1400 hours) with a 60" front mounted deck.

BTW I almost rolled it over doing a turn too fast on pavement the other night.
  2. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I have the F935 [although I've replaced it with an Exmark Lazer and haven't sold the JD yet] which I used for the past two years. I ordered the service manual from the dealer and followed the recommended practices and intervals. The only thing I didn't need to do was replace the fuel filter which is a bit of a pain on the Yanmar, but I decided that instead of changing it at interval to wait until the idiot light came on which it never has. Be sure to not run one of the tanks out of fuel or you'll end up having to reprime the fuel system which is no fun at all. If you don't have a JD dealer around you, you can order it online from their web site. Good luck. Will
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Canton, South Dakota, WOW, that is back in my old stomping grounds. I grew up in South Dakota and have relatives in Canton. I also have a John Deere with the Yanmar and it is a good engine. I also have one in my Dixie Chopper and have had one other one in a 332 JD, so I am very familiar with the Yanmars. Good choice on the engine.