Mower price negotiation

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by South Florida Lawns, Jul 6, 2008.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Tomorrow I'm gonna go look at a Stander, and I was wondering if you can get a dealer to come down in price like when buying a car? When I bought my toro z master all I really did was call around to find the best price. I was kinda dumb going in to it back then. I know you can haggle on ATVs's, dirt bikes and cars but what about lawn equipment?

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i think theres a little room for haggling

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I wish I knew how to haggle! Every time I try to offer a lower price they just give me the poker face look and tell me they can't do it. I never even get much of a break on used equipment.

4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How bad do you need/want it? Don't buy until we here the numbers, someone on LS may have worked a better deal. :nono:

5. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Don't look so excited when your looking a machine:clapping:
    Act like your considering a couple of other machines.
    Mention the crappy economy
    Check other dealers prices....even if they're not in your area. Use the price to negotiate.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Yeah I kinda know how to haggle a little bit now, ya know let them hear that you have many options open, i.e. brands and other dealers. But still I just aint firm enough at the end. But now I'm gonna try the walk out the door method when they don't give me the price I want.

I'll get some prices together for you guys, but I really want to hear from the FL boys cuz the rest of the countries prices are all out of wack.

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

When you go to buy the equipment find out how much it is before you go. Once you find out bring cash, have a little less than what they are asking for it. When you talk to the dealer while purchasing and he says the price, you can then say that you can only go as high as $X and make sure to mention that you will pay in cash. It has worked for me in the past. Usually they will go down a couple hundred dollars if they do.

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

there really wasnt much room at the beginning of the season when we bought a new one they are more or less prices like when buying trimmers or blowers

9. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

ive always been blessed w/ dealers that will negotiate. make a ridiculous low offer and work to the middle. i buy almost all used though, but you still ought to be able to get some $$$ off.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I even suspect a dealer allows for haggling and I'm going elsewhere, and
    thanks for making me think I was getting a good deal, but no thanks.