Mower Pricing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twnorows, May 29, 2008.

1. Twnorows

Twnorows LawnSite Member

I’m a homeowner with four acres of heavily fertilized grass to mow in need of a new mower. I’ve spent the last week searching this forum for some direction on which mower to buy. I’ve ultimately decided on either an Exmark or a Scag.

I started my shopping yesterday and went to both dealers. Both showed me a price list that seemed to be provided by their respective manufacturer. When I asked if the stated price was the best they could do, both dealers looked at me like I had just asked to do something unsavory with their wives.

I’ve noticed significantly better pricing listed on the websites of dealers out of state and figured that there must be some wiggle room in local dealers pricing. Is this the case or is everybody paying manufacturers pricing?

PS This site and the input from you guys has been invaluable in making a decision as to which mower to buy, Thanks!

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

According to the eXmark rep who posts on LS (or who does until tomorrow) "eXmark can only recommend prices". So there is some wiggle room, but it really depends on the dealer.

I would recommend a deck size no smaller than 60' for four acres. Maybe even a 66" or 72". But definitely get a full size Lazer if you can afford it.

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Equipment is moving slow. Absolutely negotiate. See if they have a demo as well.

4. momow

momow LawnSite Member

I too used this site while researching for my new ztr. After narrowing it down to a Scag or Exmark, I went for the Lazer Z AS with the Ultracut 60" deck. The Scag dealer couldn't come close to the price of the Z. With that said I am very happy with the choice I made. I see you are not too far from FT. Wayne IN. Check out Mutton Power Equipments web site their prices are pretty good.

5. Twnorows

Twnorows LawnSite Member

That’s exactly what I was looking at (60”) but I’ve had both dealers’ questions my desire for a commercial grade mower. Springtime has me mowing 8 acres of grass a week with a 15-year-old JD 322 Lawn Tractor. I desperately need something faster and an improvement in cut quality. With the amount of time I spend mowing, the money seems more than justifiable.

The economy in my neck of the woods is not exactly what you would call robust. I was expecting that things in the commercial lawn care industry were suffering along with everything else. With the response I received from the dealers, things must be better than I thought.

Would you mind sharing what you paid? No hard feeling if you'd rather not.

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

There isnt much difference in price when going up in deck size. I would go 66 or 72 prolly and the only reason to go 66 instead of 72 would be to get it on a trailer that a 72 wouldnt fit on. For you thats prolly not an issue.

7. momow

momow LawnSite Member

$7399 +* tax

8. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the Scag TT because of the shaft driven blades. This eliminates any blade belts slipping due to thick grass. Just a thought. I have a 52 TT with 1700 hours on a 22 liquid cooled Kawi that still runs like new.

9. Twnorows

Twnorows LawnSite Member

Was that for the 25 hp Kohler.

I was given a price of $8,999 for the 28 hp Kawasaki.

10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Thats cheap and Kohler is good too.