Mower problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by one man gang, Mar 22, 2006.

1. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

I put a new spindle on my 2000 gravley pro 150 50" and the blade(bolt) keeps unscrewing. Any insight on this?

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Try a thread lock?

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Are you torqueing it to spec? If you use thread, be sure to get the right kind otherwise you'll have a major headache getting it off. Usually the problem is getting the blade off not keeping it on. Proper Washer? Proper Bolt? Just some other things to think about.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Cool signature highgrass,never had that problem are you torqueing it heavy.

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Hell - You should not have to torque a blade bolt - they should tighten themselves. I just hand tighten very lightly - that way they come off easy to sharpen - never had a blade come off yet. Sure they didn't send you reverse thread bolts or something???????

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

;) Can you explain a little better. :confused:

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Are you sure your lock washer is the correct one? This is the round washer that if looked at from the side appears to have a slight conical shape.

8. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

First off ,thanks for all the replies and the help. And to better explain it, after the blades spin for a while the center one comes off. It appears the the threads are the right way and I tightened it pretty good the last time and it still came off. On this model the blade goes right up against the spindle with two washers then the bolt. I figure I'll put washer between the blade and spindle(good idea or no?) . If that doesn't work you guys think thread lock ? It's a spare mower so if it locked up it wouldn't be too bad. I just spent $100 on belts and blades for it so I want to at least have the thing run with out the blade coming off.
    Thanks again for the help all

9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

So you're saying there are two washers between the blade and the head of the bolt? Never heard of that before. All the mowers I've used (Cadet, toro, scag, exmark) usually had only one washer. What brand is it?

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't put a steel washer between the blade and spindle.
    I work for a EX Gravely Dealer and this is a option that could solve your problem. Find your nearest Dixie Chopper Dealer and purchase part # W-101 fiber washers, Put one between the blade and spindle on each spindle assembly and put both steel washers on the bolt on the bottom of the blade and tighten to spec.