1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2menandamower, Mar 29, 2006.

1. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I have a Red Hawk Hydro 48" walk behind. Yesterday I went to mow and could not get it to start. I checked all of the safety switches and check the fuel etc. I took the fuel filter off and blew through it with no problem and put it back on and then it started on the second pull????? It worked fine for the rest of the day. Today I went to mow and the same thing. I took the fuel line off the filter and shook it a little put it back on the filter and it started on the first pull. Do I need a new filter or is there something else that I need to look at? It has a 18hp Kohler Command motor and it only has about 70 hours on the machine. It is still new. I let it run before I put it up for the winter for about 10 minutes then I turn off the fuel shut off and let it run till it died. Is there a possibility that the carb, has gotten gummy? This has me puzzled. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. brettmc

brettmc Banned

Sounds like you need a new fuel filter....

3. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Do you really think so? The mower only has about 75 hours on it??? I hate to think that I am going to have to replace it that soon. I had no problem blowing thru it when I took it off.
  4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, fuel filters are like $1 or less each! Jeez, don't be so cheap, JUST GET A NEW FUEL FILTER!:hammerhead:
  5. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

If it has been sitting up over the winter, then the carb might need to be cleaned. Since it will run, just add some fuel system cleaner ( I use Seafoam).
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

DITTO THAT..........;)