Mower Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2menandamower, Sep 27, 2006.

1. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

OK I bougt a new Dixon 50: commercial ZTR with a 20HP moter. I have a lemon I think. When I first got it, there were so many loose screws, bolts, and evertthin else was loose. I checkd tht torque on the wheels just to make sure that they did not fall off while I was trying to around at the top of a hill. Then After about 3 weeks I started noticing that the mower would just up nad die... The lights would go out and everythin electrical would be dead. After I flip down the blades and wait about 5 seconds and it starts-up and then runs good for about 20 minutes or less and will do it again. I called my daler and he looked into it and was told it needed a ground loop relay installed. A sales guy got it in and I went by there to let them put it on the mechanic was gone to lunch so he said " I can do it" WRONG!!!! He broke the bolt off my starter so then I was without my mchine for a week. My dealer was great and let me take a demo unit for the week. sooo Did that with no improvement. Then I was told to put STP gas treatment in the fuel tank and run it and see if that was the problem, That had no effect on the problem.Then I was told it was a ground loop and needed to run a wire from the neg side of the battery to the frame to give it a better ground. Took it to the shop and did it and NO IMPROVMENT> My mower has 128 hours on it so it is still new.. My queston is does anyone have an idea of what it might be. I checked the FLUX CAPACITOR and it looked fine. Would I be out of line to ask for a refund or to have them replace the mower all together??? I know if I bought a car and it had less than 500 miles on it and had problems that could not get fixed I would declare the lemon law and as for a full refund or a new replacement... Also my dealer said h sems to think it is a kohler problem and not a dixon proplem. I told him if you buy a FORD F_250 deisel and it had a international engine then Ford would do the fixing and they would be responsable for it if it was a Lemon. If you buy a Bike and the seat is ripped when you take it out of the box you take the whole thing back not just the seat. I am really pissed off about this. Just wondered if I will have any luck getting a refund on my mower or them giving me a new one? Sorry o ramble I just wanted to get my whole story in. Thanks in advance for the help....

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a 20hp Kolher... and an incompetent shop.

Probably just the dang coil on the engine... pretty common.

3. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

"sounds like it may be a Kohler problem" I would have said, then it's YOUR PROBLEM BECAUSE THERE IS A KOHLER ENGINE IN THE MOWER YOU SOLD ME....Along with a bunch of loose bolts!!! What a stupid answer that was!

I have a question.... is this an Electronic fuel injection model?

The problem you may be having is a safety switch that is going bad on your safety devices like the steer bar switch, brake switch, seat switch, if they get water in them they tend to corrode internally and can cause intermittent problems. It could also be your coil pack/igniter going bad... they have a tendency to short out when they get hot... cool off, and work again.

Could also be your key switch... IF it were ME.... I would jump out the safety switches and the key switch and see if the problem continues. BUT THAT'S JUST ME.

Disclaimer: I am a professional mechanic and in no way endorse removing safety devices except for troubleshooting....or living life dangerously!:hammerhead:

4. WildWest

Come to think of it, I would make the KEY SWITCH my #1 suspect!!! Simply because, when you turn off the key...what happens.... everything shuts off!
    Plus, that switch is especially subject to water getting in it!

If it does turn out to be something simple like I mentioned...I would LOVE for you to go back to your shop and tell them YOU FIXED WHAT THEY COULDN'T!!!!!LOLOL

5. 2menandamower

OK so is there a way to test to coil to se if it is the problem??? When I say it dies I will be mowing along in th dusky dark with the lights on and then it dies. I mean the motor shuts down the lights go out and then after about 3-5 minutes it will make a clicking noise and then the lights come on and it will start again. I have tried to determine where the pop comes from but i can't. The sales guy broke one of the wires on the the starter when he was going to put on that relay bypass thing and they put a new starter and coil when they did that. I am jstu sick of messing with this mower. I just think I got a dud, I mean I only have 128 hours on it and the problems started at about 20 hours and it keeps getting worse. My dealer is only getting the fix tries from th Dixon rep and the kohler techs. I just want it replaced. What do you think my chances are of that happning??

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Coil would not make everything electrical die, once they get hot they may not produce spark but engine should turn over. They are right on that Kohler will warranty the engine and Dixon will warranty the mower, Dixon will not take care of the engine part of it.

Sounds to me a switch somewhere, either seat, deck, bars, etc. Check all switches, sometimes one will crack and not have a good connection.

Good luck, call dixon, be nice, and see if they can help you diagnose the problem. If you are frustrated and mean they wont want to help as much, even as a dealer calling and being that way hurts you.

7. 2menandamower

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it is the key switch because when it dies I can turn it off and back on several times before it will restart. What do you think my chances are of getting a refund or getting a new replacment??? Mine on ly has 128 hours on it and it was bought by me new...

8. WildWest

Saw Man is right, a bad coil would not kill everything!

You said it makes a Clicking noise, Do you happen to know if you have a STARTER RELAY? It's not a starter SOLENOID, but a relay, usually a little black square block about 1 inch x 1 inch somewhere in your electrical system?
    Those will also overheat and kick out untill they cool off.

WHERE'S AN ELECTRICAL SCHEMATIC WHEN I NEED ONE!!!

I don't know how long you've had the mower, but with 100+ hours on it, a dealer won't be able to fix it and sell it "as new" so I DOUBT you'll get a swap.

I don't believe that the "lemon law" applies to equipment.

I would be a HUGE PITA to my dealer untill this thing gets fixed! a dealer saying "I DON'T KNOW" is not an option!!!

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't read post #1 well enough and missed the part where everything just dies.

It's definately something killing the circuit.
    Your dealer is a DUD...

Time to make some jumper wires.
    Just a single loop wire with blades on both sides.
    You unplug all the kill switches and insert the jumper to elminate them.
    This should only be done in a safe controlled environment of course.

So get to making some jumpers and dig out your wiring diagram.
    You can go quickly though a process of elimination pretty quick by yourself.
    This will save you much headache.
    Either you diagnose the issue or you narrow the possibilties quickly for them.

I know you shouldn't have to figure it out yourself so they can fix it. But the majority of shops employ part changers and good diagnostic mechanics are hard to find.

LEARN YOUR LESSON AND REMEMBER THIS WHEN IT'S TIME TO BUY AGAIN.

10. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

:clapping: :clapping: I think Envy has the explanation of what the problem is; that is, one of the kill switches is malfunctioning. I doubt if it's the engine that is at fault. And he has even provided a technique using clip leads to trouble shoot to identify which one of the kill switches. But I wouldn't bother trying to do that myself. It certainly seems like your dealer isn't very sharp, but let him pay for a mechanic/electrician to do the labor to pinpoint execute the repair.