1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower problems

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by DMA, Sep 30, 2003.

1. DMA

DMA LawnSite Member

This is not a complaint. Just little things that add up.
    I have the Super Z with the Bac-vac with a total of 8 hours on it.
    The first thing that happened: Bagging in thick grass, I thought the belt on the bagger was smoking. After I got to looking the top belt under the plastic cover had no spring or chain on the idler. So the idler went into the cover burning its way through it.
    I found the chain and spring in a box of parts they had given me from things taken off to put the bagger on. So I took care of that.
    Next it ran out of gas with one tank full. Knowing that was no switch I could not figure how this happened. To find out one of the tanks was shut off at the bottom of the tank. Guess I should of checked this but did not think about one being on the other off. Third the right tank bolts came out or were never there. The back of the tank would swing away from the frame.
    Fourth, started mower and when the levers were pulled together to move the mower it would go dead. This happened for several times. Knowing it had to be a safety switch or sensor I raised the seat and got this going. Guess it was the switch on the levers not releasing. Fifth, after I got it started noticed motor oil dripping from the rear of the mower. So far this problem I took it to the dealer. At first look they think its the seal on the back of the motor that sticks out where the oil filter is located. Its not the oil filter. Love the mower, it does a great job and drives and rides wonderful but did not expect to have all these little things happen. Guess most were dealer problems putting it together and motor problems and not the fault of Hustler. But just wanting someone to talk to I guess. Thanks for listening.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds like your dealer did not set this unit up correctly or do a required pre-delivery checklist that we send out with every mower.
    I will forward this to the factory rep in your area.
    I am sorry you had to go through this and we will address it with the dealer.

Thank you for your patience

3. DMA

DMA LawnSite Member

My intent was not to cause problems for the dealer. They have been very nice and have given me a mower to use while mine is in the shop. Besides they are the only Hustler dealer in the area so I must do business with them so I don't want to get them on my wrong side. Just a little frustrated I guess.