Mower Productivity Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassRoots Lawn Care, May 30, 2000.

1. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

I currently own a 32&quot; Encore for most accounts and a 21&quot; Toro for smaller jobs. I am looking to purchase a new frontline mower. We have $2700 budgeted. The three mowers I'm considering are a 48&quot; belt drive Encore (14hp Kawasaki) $2600, Scag belt drive 48&quot; (17hp Kawasaki)for $2900 or a Scag 36&quot; belt drive (14hp Kawasai) for $2440. <p>We have mostly residential accounts and could only use the 48&quot; on 40% of them. Will the 48&quot; increase my productivity significantly? Or should I go for a 36&quot; for a little less? Is the 25% larger cutting path that much more productive vs. a 36&quot; mower's manuavability and increased access through gates? Or am I being just a little too anal retentive? :) All replies will be appreciated. Thanks.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

get a exmark metro 48in with a 16hp(or somthing) because you can use the 32 for all the small jobs. how many lawns do u mow

3. Jim White

Jim White LawnSite Member

Buy Large and stay in charge. The best thing I ever did was go from a 48&quot; walk behind to a 61&quot; zero turn rider. I lowered my time spent at my present accounts and picked up enough new ones to pay the machine and increase my take home $$$$$$$. Always put the largest machine on an account that you can.<br><p>----------<br>Jim White<br>

4. columbiaplower

i got an idea buy a 48in rider!

5. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree with largest machine as possible on a lawn. One because it scalps the hell out of everything being that you are using a 36&quot; and your lawns are not very big. <br> and the other is you just cant make it look good when you only have three stripes because your mower is too wide. <br>The extra 10&quot; is great but if you want to make the job look good use the smallest possible without sacrificing time or productivity. i would go with a 48&quot; because it is a great univeral size that will work for all jobs big or small. It all depends on the size of your jobs.I cut many small jobs and my60&quot; tears up the burms the ditches and the hills all because of the width. If you have nice small lawns dont put a 60&quot; or a 72&quot; you will be sorry later but if you have a good mix of big commercial work then its not a bad idea to try a 52&quot; rider or even a 60&quot;. Try out a 48&quot;,52&quot; and see first and then you can know for sure. Good luck.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: bdemir

6. Jim White

Jim White LawnSite Member

bdmir, you missed my point. I wasn't implying that everyone should buy a 60&quot;+ machine. What I said is you should put the largest machine on a property that it will handle. If GRASSROOTS accounts will only handle a 36&quot;or 48 becuause of size limitations, then he should get the largest one that works best. <p>----------<br>Jim White<br>

7. GrassRoots Lawn Care

A rider would be great to sit on but where I live (Central Fla) the ground gets to wet and soggy in the summers to handle that kind of weight. Also, I stated my budget of $2900, not too many riders I can pick up for that cash. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

8. GrassRoots Lawn Care

ColumbiaPower, why do you suggest an Exmark, locally they are priced about or sometimes less than Scag's. $2400 for a belt drive 36&quot;. What has been your experience with Exmark. It doesn't look as well built as the Scags, but I've heard they give a nice cut.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

9. Nilsson Associates

Nilsson Associates LawnSite Member

Jim White ... <br>buy large and stay in charge<br>sales lost to smaller mower<br>labor costs lost to a smaller mower<br>labor costs higher than machine costs hour<p>A-1<br>

10. columbiaplower

i run all exmark. allways have always will. I like them because thier cut quality is great. And they are as well built as a scag and they have more options. Save some money get a exmark<br>-nick <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: columbiaplower