Mower purchase dilema need input

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEUSWEDE, Mar 16, 2005.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

This is my first year solo, I have a few clients lined up to mow for but not totally sure how the season will go and how many clients I will have. My question is, I am looking into getting an Exmark hydro walk behind, I know this is what I want, I am in the middle between the fixed deck Viking and the Floating deck Turf Tracer HP. If I purchase before April I get savings and I can take advantage of no payments no interest till January 06 which is good, should I spend the extra 1200 for the floating deck? will it really be worth it in the long run?
    Thanks

2. BENTLEY'S

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

Get the floating deck. I made the Viking mistake last year. It's still a great mower, but.....

Bentley's

3. NEUSWEDE

from Maine

what was the mistake did it scalp a lot or what? And if I get the floating should I opt for the 19hp instead of the 17hp? so many damn decisions!

4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

What size deck are you looking at? 48" and up I would definately get the floating deck. A 36" wont scalp as much as a 48" will. No matter what though the ease of height adjustment on the TTracer is a big benifit over the Viking. Is it worth $1200 more? I guess it depends on how much work you have, and where you want to go from here.

5. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have never had a floating deck walkbehind, but I have had 2 john deere fixed deck and a bobcat fixed deck. I have never really had much of an issue with them scalping except for coming out of or into a ditch. Again I have not had a floating deck, but I cant see it being worth $1200 more, thats alot of money.

6. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Floating deck with as much HP as you can get.

7. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

With out a doubt get the turf tracer with floating deck. We currently have both mowers in service right now and the floating deck is much better as far as stripping, anti- scalping and over all cut. Don't get me wrong the fixed deck has more than paid for it self and has been a good mower years ago before we had gotten the turf tracers but after a floating deck we will never go back to fixed!

8. Scottish LScape

Scottish LScape LawnSite Member

Floating Deck will pay off in the long run! But, if $$ is tight the fixed deck will work well, we have exmark metro fixed deck & Viking fixed deck . My 2 cents spend the payup on other equipment 1st, then when you need the floating deck look @ a lazer. :waving:

9. NEUSWEDE

from Maine

Thanks to all that responded, I was leaning towards the floating deck, It will be my only mower so why not make it a great one. It costs more but since I don't have to make payments till 1/06. I think I will make the money back on this year, atleast I am hoping.
    Thanks