Mower purchase...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ACutAbovesiny, Feb 27, 2007.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I just landed a great account with a local little league. We will be mowing the fields and also maintaining the grounds. Currently we only use 21" push mowers...that just wont do. Today I applied for credit with John Deere and Ferris. I have not heard back yet but if I get approved which should I get??

I will be buying: one 36" walk behind and one 48" walk behind.

I know what your a ztr or a riding tractor. This just is not practical due to the fact that there are no large properties that would require a rider in my area. Plus money is an issue. I will be able to use the 36" on some other properties

Which machine should I buy---the john deere or the ferris?
  2. Brett's Cutting Edge

Brett's Cutting Edge LawnSite Member
    from novi

dont buy a 36 just buy a 48 &52 because next year you wish you would have bought the bigger mower. I have learned that buy once not every year.
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're in NY, you can appreciate Ferris being upstate. If you need parts, they can ship up to 6:00 PM, UPS to your dealer (or you? dont know for sure if they direct ship) so you'll have parts the next day for no extra charge. I dont personally like the controls on my Ferris 36, dont know much about the JD. My thumbs get VERY tired and sore after several hours of using it.
  4. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Why buy a new mower that you may only use on 1 prop? Buy a nice used 48" WB and save yourself 2-3 grand. If you buy a 36" and use it on the other props, how much time will you really gain on those props? How much longer will it take you on this 1 account? If I were you I'd just get a decent used 48" WB and save the extra money, and if you expand and take on similar props just upgrade to a ZTR from there.