Mower Question ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sharp Services, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I thought I had my mind made up. I was planning to buy a Walker 42" cut mower with a 20 hp motor. But my 54" cut mower that I use to keep my 5 acre yard cut bit the dust. So ... I am having to rethink the Walker because my yard is bigger than what I think the Walker would do and I do not need to bag my own yard.

So I have gone to the two closest dealers and looked at the following mowers:

Gravely PM 34Z
    15hp Kawasaki motor
    36" deck
    $4899
    Offers an optional 4.3 cu ft side grass catcher

Gravely PM 44Z
    17hp Kawasaki motor
    44" deck
    $5499
    Offers an optional 4.3 cu ft side grass catcher

Snapper 2500 Pro Series
    19 hp Kawasaki motor
    48" deck
    $6699
    Offers Ninja Mulching Blade system and Fast-Vac Collection system.

Which mower do you like?

Please keep in mind that most of the yards I cut are small to medium sized in town yard and half of them have small back gates. I will still be cutting my yard, very large and will have my Snapper 33" tractor that can be used for the back yards of my present customer. I have never mulched my customers yards but could do it during cutting the season and bag the heavy leaf areas.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would probibly go with the 48" Snapper.

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Scag Tiger Cubs both are 48/19 Kawasaki's. They are great for cutting yards that dont need to be bagged but we are going to buy a Walker in April to cut the properties we bag. In your situation, if you are going to be just bagging leave I would get the Snapper ZTR or Scag if you have a good dealer close. Walker are designed for bagging small to medium sized properties.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You could always get a bigger S/D deck for the Walker for when you do not need to collect.

5. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

you can also open the catcher door to discharge with a walker, walker also sells a discharge kit that goes on the back door.

6. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

for a 5 acre yard that you don't want to bag, I would use the tiger cub and side discharge thru the summer. Then I would add the mulch kit and mulch the leaves in the fall.