1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Recommendation Advise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by raksasas, May 13, 2007.

1. raksasas

raksasas LawnSite Member

First off I would like to say, "hi." I found this forum while search google in hopes to find a good mower. I know form prior experience form using forums is that a lot of the same questions get asked over and over and over again so please bare with me.

I am looking to purchase a new mower and I would like to ensure that I get a good one that will last and meet my needs. I have been looking at ZTR's at Lowe's and Home Depot. At the time I was thinking about 3 things: 50in deck, commercial grade and ztr. So I talked to a co-worker that has a ztr. The advise he gave me was get a 48in deck because the 50in won't make a big difference and that I would cut my mowing time in half by definitely get a ztr: very tight turning and cut faster. He purchased a commercial grade ztr becuase he has about the type of lawn I have. I do not remember the name band he said he had. So after this talk I thought I would like to hear from people that use them as part of their job.

Basically, what mowers would you guys recommend?

I have 4 acer's and I mow all of it with a nice low cut. It's relatively flat: bumpy and rocky here and there. I sometimes do let it get a little thick before I mow it again. It takes about around 4 hours to mow it all. By the way, I currently have 2 riding mowers that are constantly breaking down which is the reason why I am looking for a new one.

Huskee -12hp - 36in deck - age: unknown, was my grandfathers.
    The desk has been welded back together
    blade spindles have been replaced
    starter replaced one time.
    Desk is falling apart again.

Craftsman - 12 HP - 38in deck - Age: 17 years I believe.
    Constantly replacing starters
    Constantly replacing belts
    Constantly replacing blade spindles
    The deck it's self is in good shape, dent and ding here and there.

Thank you for the advise.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

First off the mowers at Lowes and Home Depot are not Commercial grade.. I would goto a mower dealer and see what they have. A 48 is fine, but Id get a 52 or higher for 4 acres.. The most popular and best selling is a eXmark brand mower. You get 1 of these and you'll wish you could mow everyday.

There are many threads here on the "which is best" do a search it may help you.
  3. raksasas

raksasas LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I know the Lowes/Home depot mowers are not commercial. I am basically looking for recommend information from you guys mainly deck size and a ZTR mower(s). I don't want to get a $2500 one from Lowes/Home depot and have to replace parts every other year because of the beating it will take. I do know that everyone has preferences on a make which is what I am wanting because there is not ultimate mower. I am just trying to get an idea of all the commercial band mowers and I hope they are ones that can take the beating that the yard and I will dish out.
  4. raksasas

raksasas LawnSite Member

After scouting the area I have found I can get the following mowers:
    Encore - 48" X-Treme @ $6099
    Gravely - 52" @ $4694
    Scag - 48" Tiger Cub @ $6800
    Hustler -48" Fastrak @ $4799
    Hustler - 52" Mini Z @ $5999

Which one do y'all recommend? I am leaning toward the Hustler based off the talk of it here.
  5. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

the scag if you can swing the price.....
  6. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

That price for the Gravely has to be for the homeowner model or my dealer here is trying to make some money. I just got quoted $6169 for the 44Z model here in Utah. How did you like the dealers you talked to? That is huge in my opinion. That 52" deck should allow you to cut that 4 acres in an hour depending on how much you have to mow around. Homeowner models aren't necessarily bad as long as you us it for such.
  7. raksasas

raksasas LawnSite Member

Well, I could have transposed the numbers wrong when I wrote them down and the scag/gravely dealer barely talked to me. Same with the Encore dealer
    The Hustler dealer was the most commutative and even let me drive one around.
  8. barenstam

barenstam LawnSite Member

Ask your Hustler dealer for a price on a Fastrak 54" with a 20hp Honda. I bet it's a round $5200 and I think that would be a great mower for you.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Come over to Austin and the boys at McCoys will talk to you about Scag...Scag has the Freedom model that would probably fit your needs and your price....almost.
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

They are all good mowers but from what I am gathering the Hustler dealer seems to be your man. Hustler stands behind their products very well but having a good honest dealer makes all the difference in the world.

You only have to satisfy yourself, see which dealers will give you a demo so you can see what features you like. The ones that give you a demo are probably the ones most interested in you having a good mower.