1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower recommendation - please.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Jun 3, 2002.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

The first person to tell me to use the "Search" feature - I'm going to ......... :)

Seriously, though, I have worn out the search button out and learned a great deal. However, I wanted to ask your opinion on this one.

I cut (15)-(20) 1/2 acre residentials on a part-time basis with a 38" rider and a 21" w/b. What I'm wanting to do is to cut down on my mowing/swapping from mower to mower time and go with (1) commercial grade mower without sacrificing too much manuaveurability. After boogering around with the rider and then switching over and doing the finish-mowing with my w/b, I would have just as well off (time wise) to use the w/b from the start due to the relatively small sized lawns.

Now, here's the million dollar question - Is there any (1) mower for my situation that will do all, thus decreasing my mowing time and keep from swapping over to finish up with the w/b?

Thanks in advance,

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume when you use the term WB you are referring to a 21" push mower and when you use the term rider you mean tractor. Go buy yourself a 48-52" (if no gated areas definitely go 52") Commercial walk-behind and you'll be doing those size lawns in 30 minutes a pop.
  3. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

If gates are a problem, go with a 32" or 36" wb
  4. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, a machine with a zero turn radius will save tons of time. Then break out the line trimmer for trimming, and then tie the 21" ( I call them push mowers ) to one end of a rope and tie your boat to the other end. See where I'm going with this?

I decided long ago that a 21" mower wouldn't be in my repa......repitoir....ripotwar....reputuir........darn it! you know what I mean.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the flex-deck on our Flex-Deck Sponsor Forum - We have pics of it on an
    eXmark 52" - Now mows 70",
    eXmark 36" - Now mows 54",
    and a JD 36" - Now mows 54"

It adds 18" width, contour mows unlevel terrain, and trims in places you have never been with a wider mower. This setup on a 36" WB gives you a lot of options, and should save you a bunch of time both trimming and mowing, as well as different pieces of equipment.

Thanks, Brad

p0000192-36 in wb mow pos.jpg
  6. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I am in a similiar situation, but my lawns are much smaller than 1/2 acre. I am still thinking about a larger mower, but still not sure if it is worth it in my situation. There is a lot of good advice on this board, but most of it comes from the big boys that service tons of accounts including large commercial accounts. I was told to get all the big mowers also, specifically the 48-52 inch. I could not use that size mower on any of my accounts since they are all smaller and gated. I had a friend that was cutting part time like you and got a 36inch last year. He just got rid of it because of the gate problem. He is sticking with his proline 21inch. Most of the big boys trash the 21inch mowers, but I think they have their niche on the smaller lawns. I have been looking and demoing all the 32 inch and like the Exmark the best and it has a sweet 4 year engine warranty if you use opti-oil. Also you may want to check out the 26inch commercial mower by Kee, most guys are happy with it that I have talked to. It is a good tweener mower for around 900-1100. All your 32inch on up are going to run you from 2000 on up.

Good luck
  7. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

At the least a 48" wb brand is not as important as dealer find a dealer that will let you demo one on several of your lawns this should give you an idea of what you need.
    But all in all a commercial wb should help you greatly reduce your time per lawn.
  8. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Brad --

That mower looks cool! Bet it would get up under orange trees and low palm trees real well without having to trim underneath them. Many of the retirees don't want to have us trim their citrus trees up so that they can't reach the fruit in the winter. Sooo... we have to try to mow and weedeat around them. Like this idea a lot! We've got a Z34 and love it.

Bamared --

If your lawns are 1/2 acre lots, maybe you could look at a riding zero turn. Use the w/b for tight areas only. The riding Z actually can get close to stuff, cutting down on your trimming time. We got the little Z34 Encore (34" wide) 15HP Kawi and gets into all our backyard gates, it has a nice cut and has a commercial build. It is kind of slow compared to our larger 61" Bunton ZTR. Maybe go somewhere in between. The Z34 takes more stripes (and would do striping nicely on such large properties). You can get in the gates with it, but you would sacrifice lots of time by not having a larger deck.

Good luck to you! Hope you find what you need!
  9. Flex-Deck

Under trees - here we go

52-under trees.jpg
  10. Flex-Deck

Do You Want to Get Thru Gates then have a wide mower - How about the Flex-Deck on a 36" then when lowered = 54" of trimming and contour mowing power -Please see next post for the mowing position.