1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Recommendation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by maustm, Mar 6, 2008.

1. maustm

maustm LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I am not a commercial mower, so my apologies if this post is in the wrong location, but I would like some help. I have some older generations in my family, so for the next few years I have adopted 7 lawn jobs a week (no pay) to help out. Can't decide what mower to get, I have a Chevy 1500 (no trailer) so i will be lifting equipment in and out of my truck bed. Since I have only weekends to do the work, I don't want a light rain to stop my work. Because of this I have been leaning towards pruchasing a commercial 21" mower, since I see the have a higher blade tip speed (i assume that would help in those situations. So I am looking to the pro's here. What do you guys think, I want to blow through these yards fairly quickly since there is not profit, but they are family so want to leave them looking decent.

Any help you can offer is needed. Thanks in advance.
  2. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Difficult to say. With limited resources (No trailer) and having to lift everything into your truck, I say first purchase some alumium ramps. These are light weight and will carry enough load capacity to use a small ride on. Like something you would purchase at Lowe's or other hardware stores approx 44" $900.00 +. You could even get a decent push mower for difficult area where you otherwise couldn't fit your rider ($300.00). And there would be nothing wrong with buying a weed eater or blower at the same location. ($400.00)However, for speed! That will all depend on the layout of the land, object to maneurver around etc. To look nice? Take your time! I don't see you making anytime up with the available resource mention here, but you could still come out looking a winner in your families eyes which too me seems more important! All I got to say is you have my respect! Priciple Factor Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the size of the yards and if this is a one time deal for this summer only or will you be doings these yards in future years also.
  4. maustm

maustm LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Pretty much 1/5 to 1/4 an acre lots, and i am guessing I will be mowing them for a few years. I looked at the Toro SR4 20092, but I have no idea if that will last. Plus I am in the midwest, and I will be mowing weekly, that is a lot of time for these lots to grow. I think i can use a 21 or 22" walk behind, I just need one that can do the job.
  5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

7 yards can be a lot of mowing, especially if they need it mowed once a week, which is pretty common and the norm for this industry. A rider from any of the box stores (home depot, lowes, sams, costco, etc) should get you on your feet for a while. I say a while because they have many plastic parts whereas the comm units same parts are steel, or iron, so the residentials will not last as long long-term, but they should serve you well provided you do maintenance and if they you do decide to get a rider double check the front wheels to see if it has grease zerks, if they do, get you a grease gun and grease them once or twice every 25-30 hrs or so. The trimmers from the box stores should hold up a while as well. But do look into some ramps, or make some with 2 2x4's and buy a ramp kit. Much cheaper to do then $900. Good luck.
  6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to look at a 26" Exmark walk behind. It is still small enough that you could lift it in the bed of the truck but yet has plenty of power for what you need. It should last you for as long as you need it. Definatly look at the 26" they are aound $1000 but will allow you to do the properties a little quicker than a 21".
  7. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

TORO 21" Super Recycler ! a very good mower and will take care of what you need very nicely
  8. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

What about the quickie 32", that shoud fit no problem in a truck bed, and isn't to much more than a commercial 21" mower. Check out betteroutdoorproducts.com
  9. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

he says he will have to Lift the mower on and off the truck. the TORO 21" SR is a very good mower, i wouldnt want to be lifting a the 32" on and off the truck
  10. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have to second the Toro, since you do not have a trailer and the lots are not that big. Just my 2cents, but I would not like to be loading and unloading a heavy mower off of a pickup all summer. If you had a trailer, I'd say check CL for some 36WB belt drives, I have seen some good deals on these lately.