mower repair

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tplovelock, Jul 17, 2004.

1. tplovelock

tplovelock LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I had to replace a mower blade on my Bolens riding mower. Engine is B&S. Like a dummy, I just tipped the mower on it's side, replaced the blade (tightened the nut to about 80 ft/lbs with a torque wrench), turned it right side up, and tried to start. The flywheel appears to turn only about 1/2 of a revolution, then comes to a hard stop (like there's an obstruction). Just wondering if you have an idea what I probably screwed up when I tipped the mower, and how I can go about fixing it without taking it in to the shop.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tim Lovelock

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Pull out the spark plug and crank it... you filled the cylinder with oil and its hydrolocked.

3. tplovelock

tplovelock LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

4. boompa

boompa LawnSite Member

Excuse me for sounding like a dumas, but how do you work on the blade or anything else under the deckout, without turning it on it's side.

even putting it on cinder blocks isn't enough clearance to do your work.

5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

ahh.. jack the front up or if its extensive enough of a repair, remove the deck and slide it out.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You tip it up in such a way as to keep the spark plug and carb area at the highest point. Oil can not run up hill. For a rider a chain fall over a tree limb works well and is better than tipping it over at all. Most shops that do not have liftes just use a chain fall over a shop roof beam. We did for over 20 at the shop I work at ( I have been there 3 years) before getting lift.

7. Joe B J

Joe B J LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

You should turn the mower to where the carb is toward the bottom, if turning on its side. The s/plug should be up if tipping mower front or back.

8. Joe B J

Joe B J LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Let me back up a little. A b&s L heads should be turned carb down, an overhead valve, carb up. A Techumseh, carb up.