Mower Research, asking for everyones .02!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TGK, Dec 7, 2006.

1. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

Ok fellas, 1st I would like to thank everyone for getting back to me on prior questions about mowers. Now heres the big one! If some of the experienced guys were to go back and do it again what mowers would they start out with (brands and sizes etc)? For example would you start economically (cheap) and buy a couple of Lesco mowers, or would you purchase equipment that will be with you for the long haul but costs alot more ie: Exmark or Hustler? Thats the big question in my mind for the upcoming season.

Thank you in advance

Chris

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Always buy equipment that will is ready for the long haul! It don't make any sense not to.JMO

What brands of mowers do dealers in your area sell?

3. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I look at it like this get the best you can when you can. It will save you more money in the long run

4. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

Definately pay more upfront and get better equipment, it will save you a great deal of money/time in the long run.

I started with a couple of inexpensive mowers, doing a few lawns. They gave me a start, but I learned pretty quickly why not to use less expensive mowers (They just don't last). I really can't afford breakdowns, so I try to get the best equipment I can.
    I have Toro and Hustler mowers. Both are superb brands with excellent quality and support. Really all I have to do on them is regular maintainence.

5. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

If I was to go back and start over I would go in the same direction I'm heading now. All SCAG hydro walk behinds, 48" and 61" decks.

6. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend always going with equipment that will be with you for a while. How big your pocket book is and what kind of accounts you will be servicing should really be the two deciding factors. I would highly recommend that you look into Walkers. They may be a bit expensive for what you are looking for but used is always an option. Good luck:waving:

7. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

Cborden if your thinking SCAG why not LESCO? They were the same company at 1 time.

8. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

Buy mowers that will go the long haul. I personally prefer Walker and Exmark. It's alot of money to get started, but if you do a good job it will pay for itself. You have to spend money to make money.

9. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

First, get feedback from guys that have been mowing for awhile on the dealers in your area who have the BEST service reputation. All of these things eventually need service. Once you do that, go visit the top two or three and check out the brands they sell. It doesn't make sense to buy a mower that nobody in your area services. The bottom line is they all mow grass and they all break. I have an Exmark and a Ferris. Alot of guys around here use Scags and love them. We have two separate dealers who sell these brands and both give good service - I guess I just like the color red.