Mower restoration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by energy, Dec 13, 2003.

1. energy

energy LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever repainted a mower? Is it worth the hassle of removing all the pieces and paint separately or will i get the same results if i paint it as one piece. Sandblasting, dipping in acid, has anyone done these before and about how much will each process cost? What is the best way to go. The mower has some minor rust, will the two processes above get rid of that? Thanks for anyone who shares their experiences.

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I re-did a scag hydro last winter, Had the deck sandblasted then primed and painted it. Went through every piece and replaced any worn items and put all new factory decals on it. Looked good, A lot of work but not overwhelming. Would do it again.

3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

We repaint and go over every mower every winter. I buy the paint fron the manufacturer, prep and mix and shoot as per the instructions on the can. If its real rusty, we knock off the heavy stuff and paint on a rust convertor sold by Gemplers, prime and paint. Depending on the age and looks, some we have to strip down and redo, others its only a cosmetic thing.

4. energy

energy LawnSite Member

Did you sand blast it yourself? If so, was it hard and what equipment you need? If you had someone do it for you, how much it cost you? I just want to do the deck, belt cover, arms and casters. The rest of the mower is in good shape. Did your color turn out close to the original?

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Just be sure to not skimp on the paint. Get something that will last?

BTW, you might look into having the deck powder-coated (thats not professional advice, just my idea, but I've never done it. Certainly something to look into though). It would be expensive but worth it IMO.

To everybody else: any reason powder-coating would be a bad idea?

6. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

In a past life, I've taken items that needed to be sand blasted to the local tombstone maker and had them do the work. Sure beat having to buy equipment and sand for a once in a while project.

7. energy

energy LawnSite Member

tx-angler, you sold Wright Standers before on ebay right?

8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We repainted our old Belt Drive Walk-Behinds a few years ago. I just D/A (dual action) sanded the paint and sprayed it with Farm & Fleet Brand enamel implement paint reduced with naptha, turned out really good. I couldn't even tell the difference in color, only cost me $20.00 for the gal of paint which also painted 3 Western plows we had. I just masked over the decals, removed the spindles & tires and covered the engine. We also repainted our old Grasshoppers. We bought the paint & decals from the dealer, it was pretty expensive. Now we don't have to worry, we have stainless.

9. energy

energy LawnSite Member

How does the paint hold up in the joints when you repainted without taking pieces apart? Anyone knows how much i would expect to pay for someone to sandblast a 36" deck and some caster arm and fork assembly? I want to know what my best option at the best price with the least amount of work from me.