1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Selection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by f150intally, May 29, 2007.

1. f150intally

f150intally LawnSite Member

First of all I want to say that this is a wonderful forum. The first thing I do when researching large purchases is find the appropriate forum that has excellent information and I found the best lawn mowing forum.

Now let me preface this by saying I'm a residential user and not commercial. This plays into my decision. I'm looking at two lawn mowers: Ferris IS1500Z and the JD 717A.

Things I like about the Ferris: Suspension, 21hp kaw v-twin
    Things I like about the JD: Deck Design, Good Service in TLH, FL

Is there a big difference between the 19hp OHV kaw that the JD is equipped with and the 21hp v-twin that the Ferris is equipped with? I'm mowing 1.25 acres of centipede grass with one side of the property sloped at probably 15 -20 degrees. I have a fair amount of obstacles, mostly a 644ft privacy fence.

I don't want this to be a JD vs. Ferris debate, but for my needs - which one do you think will be great? I'm demo'ing the JD thursday and the Ferris Saturday.

One concern I have is usability... adjustments like deck height, seat are important to me. Also, which one will be easier for ME to service. I'm a fairly avid auto mechanic (hobby) but definitely have respect for the serviceability.

I like the good stuff and own all Stihl lawn equipment, FS80R, FC75, and BR340. I believe in Envy's signature which states: "The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten."

EDIT: forgot to mention prices: Ferris - 5912+tax, JD - 6399+tax. I'm willing to spend up to 6500.

let me know what you think. thanks in advance for the insight!

- Jay
  2. f150intally

ok, 53 views and no opinions? I will draw a conclusion when I demo both units but I was just looking for a little feedback from the professionals?? By the way, I have been intrigued by the commercial lawn service industry. You guys have your own set of issues that you deal with just like my profession. I understand that I'm not a LCO but just thought this would be a good place to get some quick, candid feedback.

Anyways, My guess is that I will probably be super happy with either one of them but I'm really digging the 21 Kaw and the suspension on the Ferris.

I'm guessing the deck durability and the construction on the Ferris will be just fine for me but being that this is one of the most important features, I'm leary to just forget about the JD. Seems as though the 7-iron deck is truly innovative, reliable, and durable.

3. coobie

coobie LawnSite Member

Being a new member here myself,(i had post below about Kubota and scag turf tiger)unless you are a business or mow comercial folks on here do not like to give anwsers to residental mowing folks.Just my take.coobie:cry: :help:
  4. f150intally

well, I have definitely gained a lot respect for these guys after navigating their forum for a few weeks. I never knew what the business was like until I researched. I found myself searching less for the answer to my questions and more getting interested in all these different stories etc. It is actually quite an entertaining website.

I have thousands of posts of my own but they are on a website dealing with restoration and drag racing of Nissans. By the way, if a "noob" came over to Freshalloy.com and posted a stupid question (probably like mine is being perceived) then I'm sure we would either not respond or tear them a new one. Atleast I'm not a scrub.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry I can't help you much because I have never run either one. I think Ferris gets talked about more then JD though. JMO
  6. coobie

coobie LawnSite Member

I agree with you,just tring to find some anwsers myself.I mow around 8-10 acres,just trying to find a good diesel mower to last me into my retirement years,coobie:)
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If all your mowing is 8-10 acres there is no reason to spend the extra money on a Diesel because a gasser will last you a very long time!!!
  8. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I personally would go with the unit which handled the slope the best. I'm also a believer in HP.....but the decision ultimately is in your hands. Choose the one that best fits your needs and make sure your comfortable with the dealer. Dealer support is very important and I would go with the one I feel like is going to take better care of me if issues occur.

Either unit would be a fine choice for homeowner use.
  9. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

There are some really knowledgable people on this forum.
    Yes, it's hard to get answers when you are a newb here. I am an administrator/moderator on another large forum; and we really try to take the time to help people with questions.

I wish I could answer your questions. I have looked at both machines that you are talking about. I think it would be hard to go wrong with either one. I also think you will be able to make up your mind once you take the demos.
    Good luck!!!
  10. coobie

coobie LawnSite Member

I fully agree on the dealer support comment.I bought a massey ferg(1240)diesel tractor back in 1998,I had three local dealers located within 40 mile radius of my home,now there are NONE!!I have to dirve 60-70 miles for massey parts now if i need them.coobie