Mower setup for a new business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lareed88, Apr 10, 2013.

1. lareed88

lareed88 LawnSite Member

Yeah he will be subing them to me but ill look at all the specs of the deal to prevent anything like that and id hope he wouldnt do that unless it was agreed upon
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

How in the world do people make money cutting for $19.

Take cpllawncare's advice and get a 36" stander. If you can't swing that, get a 36" hydro wb and sulky. I'm sure you can buy a cheap wb from someone who tried to cut lawns for $19 last year.

3. lareed88

lareed88 LawnSite Member

Yeah ill have to do the photos. Ill see if there is any room on the price per lawn. How much more you think I should ask
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. lareed88

lareed88 LawnSite Member

lol nothing is final im just considering the work. My gut is telling me and so is everyone else to get a 36 but my dealer is swearing that ill have issues getting into backyards and to get the 32 wb so i dont know what to do
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  5. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a 36" dude. I could see a 32" as a special mower for some properties but as your main mower, you need to be as productive as possible. That 4" doesn't make a night and day difference but it does make a difference. I don't know about where you are, but my 42" navigator fits through everyone of our properties gates. Isn't 48" gates standard?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

In his first post he says he's in Houston and the older homes have 36" gates.

7. Blade Runners

So far we haven't run into a gate that our 36" won't fit through. Came very close yesterday though with a 36" chain link gate. I believe 36" is the smallest for chain link. That is the gate itself then add an inch or so for hinge gap and the gap at the latch. A 36" Scag is 37" wide with chute up.

8. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Yep.. my TTHP 36" will fit through a 36" gate. My mower measure out to 36.5"

9. lareed88

lareed88 LawnSite Member

I know everyone is saying get a 36 but business is picking up faster than expected and I dont have time to wait for the 36 so im picken up my 32 in the morning. Ill let yall know if I hate it or love it and ill post some picks when I get it. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge with a greenhorn
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Blade Runners

Not sure how the market is there. I would think it's very competitive though. We set a minimum of $40 and only make exceptions if the customer is military or elderly. So far it has worked out well for us. We have more work than we can handle and leads coming in everyday. The one thing I done that helped immensely was to build a website and get the rankings up over the winter.

I would much rather not win an estimate than to bid too low with thin profit margin and be stuck with that property for the rest of the season or longer. We roll out with $20k just in mowers on the trailer and I just can't stay in business trying to lowball bids and compete with the neighborhood kid mowing with his 21" Murray. Try to build a quality customer base and route. Like I said, things might be totally different where your at. We seem to have alot of lawn companies here too but the way I see it, there is a whole lot of grass to be cut in TN and every home or business is a potential customer.

What I have learned very quickly, is that this game is all about numbers. You have to generate as many leads as possible and bid them appropriately. You won't win them all but you are not concerned because 3-4 more will email or call you the next day. To me, trying to compete on price is a recipe for failure. The overhead is too high for a legit business and there are too many people out there that WILL be able to operate cheaper than you can.