1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mower setup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grasskat1, Jul 31, 2006.

1. grasskat1

grasskat1 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

could i get opinons on what would be the best set up for mowing residential and commercial accounts all under an acre and a half. some have tight spots and some need bagged.for example, should i go with a 60" deck, a 48" walk behind, and a 21 or 26" push mower. also any opinions on greatdane products. and is there any thing out there that does a great job on cleaning gutters. also could use info on the best fall clean up equipment. thank you i really appreciate it.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda depends how much money you want to spend. How big is the property that needs to be bagged? Are there any gate size limitations? What is the size of the trailer you plan to use?
  3. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

If you had the money get a 60"rider or w/b and a 46"walkbehind. two trimmers and a blower. An edger, stick edgers are the easiest to use. If you can flip the bill scratch the 21 or 26 and get a 32 or 36". alot more productive if you have alot of small and gated areas to mow if only a few then it isn't going to be worth the money..

For gutters, I believe that Craftsman has a gutter hose kit. I've never used one but I have heard that they work ok. You get real messy. Or you can use a pressure washer and a ladder. Or, last but not least your hands.

For fall cleanups, you can use your backpack blower or purchase a 6hp or bigger blower. For collection set your rider up with a bagger and gator blades and you should be all set.
  4. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

I use a 52" and i have yards from 7000 sq ft to 12.5 acres. It really is budget and how much you want to make. The 52 is smaill for the 12.5 acres and it takes 4 hrs to mow it. At the same time it is big for the 7000 sq ft lot. it works great for most of my accts whcih are 1/2 acre.

This really is a decision only you can answer
  5. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'd go with a 36" Hydro WB & a 48" or 52" Hydro WB to start out with if you have the $$$$.
  6. grasskat1

grasskat1 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

thanks guys for your help. i plan on going with a 7x16 enclosed trailer. only two or three propertys need bagged and are between a 1/2 and 3/4 acre. not alot of gates but alot of tight places aroud the landscaping. i am tring to reacerch as much as possible to get the best scenerio out of the gate.in my research i've found the great dane line to be well built and seem to stripe nice. i really could use the help on getting a good start with a limited buget! again, thanks and have a great day!!
  7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 52" rider and a 32" belt drive walk behind. For me a great combo would be the 32" Wb (hydro preferably) a 36/48 hydro walker and a 61" rider. All depends on what your trying to accomplish.
  8. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

How do the 32" WB compare to something like a commercial 21" Honda as far as quality? I am nervous about the tight spaces, dips, and ridges. Would rather not have to trim those by hand which I've seen other operations do, but the extra 10 inches would cut down the time for the smaller lots. Seems to be a balance of quality vs. time, picking the right size for the right lawn.

Thanks for the advice on the 60" rider/bagger combo for doing large yards and for collecting the fall debris after it is blown. I've been wondering about that. Makes more sense than trying to blow it all on a tarp or just trying to vacuum it all with a piece of specialized equipment. Though the other two methods would also work. Bagging at the end would go ahead and mulch for you, reducing space needed to haul it and even allow you to use it on the property for mulch.
  9. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year and I bought a 52" Dual Hydro Walk Behind, 36 Belt Drive Walk Behind and a 21" Mower. If I could do it again the only thing I would change is I would have bought a 32" Hydro Walk Behind instead of the 36" Belt Drive. The 36" is a little too big to fit through a lot of my gates. So I have to use my 21". I have been seriously thinking about buying a 32". I hate using the 21. It's too slow and time consuming. I wish I could get rid of the 21" completely. That is also something that I have been thinking about. I have started measuring all of the gates my 36" wont fit. If I can manage them with a 32", then next year there might be some changes. Believe it or not I use my 52" more than any of the other mowers. I love the dual hydro and as long as the yard is relatively smooth, no dips or uneven areas the 52" is great. But if the yard is uneven with dips or ditches then It will scalp, so that's when I have use a smaller mower. I hope this helps.
  10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

The 32 belt is a monster. For me can not replace 21 completely simple because I can not wrestle it on a steep slope and im a big guy.