1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower shopping...rider or walk behind???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawns4less, Jun 18, 2006.

1. lawns4less

lawns4less LawnSite Member

I have just come into some money....5k and want to invest in a new mower. I have several lawns with a fairly good slope to them and have heard several diffence of opinions from local guys and wanted another take on the subject. ..Over all, longevity, use on inclines, useability ect...which is better a ztr rider or a walk behind??? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.:usflag:
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

3. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

what are you using now? Are you planning on expanding a lot? any gates where a new mower wouldnt fit in?

and the most important question did you sit down and actually figure out will this 5k investment help me in anyway .. that can justify spending that much on a new piece wether making more money by adding more accounts or sending you home early to see the family everyday watever you looking to accomplish

im upgrading to a stander soon not for any reason other than to add alot more accounts but im not spending more than 2k on a used one .....
  4. lawns4less

lawns4less LawnSite Member

Im not looking to spend the whole 5 if I can help it. My business is taking off like a rocket and Im concerned because I just picked up 5 different apartment complexes and know already I dont have the mowers or the manpower to do it. At the moment I know I can get more manpower or woman power but I got into my local market after the bidding and stuff was over for alot of the businesses. At the open of the season next year I am planning to be totally floaded with commercial business. Thanks for the post.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Well if you don't want to spend 5K than you are not talking rider. They are 7 - 10K to start

Only you know what you need to do the apt. complexes, Mowers are cheap -- they do not "cost" money -- they make you money. Buy both and really start working--

By the way -- coming into money is the wrong way to do business, Your business should ALWAYS pay for your equipment
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I also see a disaster in the brewing.

Free money doesn't get the respect it deserves, and it is this lack of respect that promotes costly mistakes. If the business isn't old enough to pay for the equipment or the business has not been created yet, it is best to first work for someone else and save - save - save for some time (years) until one has put aside the money as this is the kind of money that promotes the respect needed to avoid the first mentioned costly mistakes.

Customers are no angels, 90% of us love nothing more than to take advantage of a great deal, and we're only sad if the business goes broke because we can't get our deal anymore and not because the owner got took for the ride of his or her life. This last part may be funny if you made it through that bit or if you never caught on, thou regardless of survival, if you noticed this bit then the resentment can last some time, yes the ride is a bit rough.

If you wish to avoid disaster, put the 5k in a 2-5 year CD or some other place where it is not readily available, then start the long, hard road towards doing things the proper way, or your chances of success are way worse than the already dismal 50-50 average.

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I don't like your advice but I guess you learn from experience. I say buy a rider if you are going to handle 5 apartment complexes. Just stay on top of everything and you will be fine.
  8. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

The wright stander comes in the middle and is a great machine. Check that one out.
  9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

A hydro WB like the hustler super WB with the h-bar and a fixed sulky will do anything a rider will do and more. I use 48" super on everthing from 2k to over 30k. Ive compared it to a 60" rider on a couple 15kprops and the 60" wasn't r4eally any faster,
  10. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

I bought a kubota ZG23 with a 54" cut. I like the shaft driven deck and the compact size. I can get through most gates...and the ones I can't, I use my MTD residential for those, or a 21" push mower. I have access to a snapper hi vac if that is needed. I cut my larger yards quicker than any w/b guaranteed. As far as slopes, any of the mowers have the ability to slide or tip.

Here is my biggest dilemma with mowing slopes: Getting hung up at the bottom of a slope...close to a ditch, or in a ditch. Aside from that, my ZG does great on slopes. Starting out, invest in a good hydro w/b. That way you can still cut your smaller yards and get in fences. Have that w/b make you the money you need to buy your rider. Let the business work for you.