1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower shops

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by slb917, Sep 26, 2004.

1. slb917

slb917 LawnSite Member

What is it with these people? I have been shopping for a mower for a while now, going to shops and trying to get my hands on mowers. These people will not wait no me. I have CASH in my pocket and want to spend it. I am only looking for a 36" w/b and not 3 or 4 ZTRs but isnt my money any good?
    I'd expect that at HomeDepot or Lowes but not at a commercial shop. Are they like this everywhere or do they only like dealing with the big commercial guy that is going to buy a half dozen mowers?
  2. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know, but where the hel l are the people like you down here?
  3. slb917

slb917 LawnSite Member

lol..I'm thinkin I'll have to go outta state to get a mower, one this year and maybe another next year.
    Seriously, its frustrating....I even show up with a truck and trailer!!
  4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go and ask them if they want your business or not. Then tell them what you want, make them a offer with your cash, and leave if they don't bite.
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

where in ne ohio are you? i'm near youngstown and had the same problems. ended up buying used mowers. went to look at leaf equipment today and they actually waited on me.
  6. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

How far northeast are you? Im a newbie outside of Columbus and I was truly supprised and impressed by the salesmen at the BPS Superstore in Blacklick. They were very willing and able to answer all of my questions. They have a 2001 scag ultimate hydro w/b 48" 17hp for $2795. They have had it for a while so I know they are willing to wheel and deal. I ended up buying a new Scag Tiger Cub 48" 19hp for $5960. I am very happy with my purchase and am glad to know I have a great dealer to support me when I am in need. Now I just cant wait till I get my mower! Im starting to burn a hole in my brochure from looking at it so many times. Im having a shed built Thursday and they will be delivering my Scag ( for free) on Friday!

Good luck finding a good dealer and a sweet deal on a mower!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'd heard good things about one dealer close to me, so when I started my own LCO I went there looking at equipment. I was surprised when the owner kind of blew me off...as soon as he realized I was looking for a 21" he lost interest real fast. He was also trying to steer me toward some sort of combination edger/trimmer (you know, where there's a separate attachment for each use). I told him I might be on a small budget, but I've been doing this for over 12 years already and I was SERIOUSLY looking to get established and start a relationship with a dealer. I guess he didn't share my sentiments.

Anyway, I've got a great dealer now. The other guy can kiss my azz, I'll never buy so much as a cotter pin from him.