Mower size suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Beaner, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

Gents
    Looking at upgrading from 21 " mower and I'm not sure how big to go. Most of my yards are 55X120. Should I go with a 26 exmark or 32/36 walk behind???? Any suggestions appreciated.

2. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

if you can make it through the gates, i would recommend a 36" WB--that's about the biggest you can get that can still make it through the average size gate. if you are mowing different grasses, be sure you get a floating deck so you can easily adjust the mowing height.

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

The biggest that will fit around the obstructions in the yards.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

If you have BIG gated backyards I HIGHLY suggest you physically measure all your gates before reanalyzing your situation. Then, compare with the actual manufacturer's mower widths with the chute up.

5. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

I love my 36. There are not many places it can't fit. Now that I have it and am looking for more mower power I will look at 48-60, but I have no regrets that the 36 was my first big WB. I will keep it and use it because it fits almost all back gates. It is the best stepping stone for the size of yards you mentioned.

6. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

All of the grass is pretty much the same. How are you guys on the quick 32 or 36? Some of the yards have a few obstacles so I was thinking of going with the 32. Thanks for the feedback boys, you guys have been a great help.

7. ariensman

ariensman LawnSite Member

I run about 65 to 70 lawns and estimate that a 36 will fit on about 60 percent . When I bought my 33 7 yrs ago, I purchased based on using it about the same amount as a 36 and found out that there is only 4 lawns that if won't fit on and that is because of stairs. A 36 would be neat except that a 33 is more suitable and less trailer space. My New quickie 32 is delivered monday.

8. landscaperdan

landscaperdan LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me why you cannot buy a 32" in a hydro? The 36" looks to be the winner on getting into backyards, should I bother with a 32"?

9. ariensman

ariensman LawnSite Member

the bop is a hydro. You can get one without the starter in a 32 (the ninja) and it has I think 3 diff engines available. I am getting the 15 kaw

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If you have to get through 36" gates I would go with the 32". But if not the 36" will do you fine. You'll be able to get the yards done a little fast and hopefully save you enough time that you can add more yards to your schedule.