Mower Size

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by American_Lawn, Feb 16, 2008.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I am debating which size walkbehind mower I want. I already have a mini z to get into the backyards. I was thinking about trading my mini z in for a 32 wb and applying the rest of the credit to a bigger z. Is that possible? Or should I just buy a bigger wb? I am looking at the quick 44. I would have a guy on the z in the back and the 44 in front. My business is set up for volume and I think this would speed things up alot faster with two mowers instead of one.
  2. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Really depends on the size of properties your market is. If its mainly small 8 to 10k lots, a small WB 36 or 44. If you got a number of properties with multiple arces get a bigger Z.
  3. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

If you already have a small mower for backyards, the get the biggest mower deck you can. I'd say a minimum of 52". The perfect setup in my opinion is a small walkbehind for gated yards, a trim mower, and a large ztr or Walkbehind to increase productivity.
  4. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

ok try this go to then look up VERSA-PRO Z-Mowers. buy the 52" mower with suspension seat and the extended warranty. you can use this mower as a rider zero turn that will run at 13 mph and when you get to a hill the handle bars fold back to turn into a walk behind. the 22 hp engine has plenty of power. i run one with a 61" deck made by rich mfg. called the convertible mower. they make the versa mower for drpower. my machine has the 22hp motor it cuts real nice with no clumping. i wouldn't buy from rich mfg their warranty isn't worth a hoot! but drpower will back you up. they even have a 6 month return policy. before you buy figure out where drpower dealer is at close to where you are at.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

2 clowns mowing--

Thats a pretty sick mower..I've never seen anything like it. I'm going to have to check that out.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You need to consider a Wright stander if you want efficiency in smaller yards. It takes a lot of time to load/unload two units and usually a guy with stander can be done before two guys can trim and blow off. At least that is what we found.
  7. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a guy that wants to sell a 32 stander to me, but if I bought one I would atleast fo 40+ inches. What size do you use?

Most of these yards are decent size. They are all city, I would like to get a bigger mower so I can do the larger properties. I will check out the wright and see how big they go.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Ours is 36"........we don't/can't use anything bigger on residential because all of the have small gates.