mower size

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clipslawnservice, Jan 24, 2005.

1. clipslawnservice

clipslawnservice LawnSite Member

Looking at buying a 72" ferris IS 5000 extreme, the one with a cat diesel motor, I mostly mow commercial places between 5 & 10 Acres three times a month and I am currently bidding on a 77 acre project that 1/3 of this are has to be finnish mowed once a week, Ive been told of problems of scalping due to the width of this mower, it is very expensive and I want to buy the right equipement. would I be better off with something else? I also have a ferris 3000 extreme in a 61" and it has served me well this last year.

2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a john deere tractor with a 72" belly mower and a 72" sabre tooth tiger. My brother-in-law has a 72" turf tiger. Scalping has not been a problem where we mow. The guage wheels have to be set at the correct height though. We are cutting cool season grasses at 3 to 4 inches with the guage wheels set to 2 inches.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Scapling should not be a problem with that mower because the suspension forces the mower deck to follow the movement of the wheels and the flow of the terrain. If you cut high then you will be a lot less likely to scalp. Hope that helps.