Mower slows at incline, 11hp...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GilBob, Oct 13, 2007.

1. GilBob

GilBob LawnSite Member

I recently bought a 48" bobcat ransomes with a 11hp gv400 Honda engine. Its pretty old, but it runs. I used it for the first time on a friends lawn, and it cuts pretty well, but it lacks in power "uphill." My friends yard has a slight incline, maybe 25 degrees, if that, and uphill I had to push it somewhat. Its belt driven zero turn. I dont fully understand the controls because they're not labeled, but it has 4 gears, but they don't all engage. On pavement it runs fine, and to load it onto my truck - I have a f-250- it goes up the ramp like a champ, no prob at all. I'm going to replace both tires, maybe that has something to do with it. Anyone out there have any advice? The guy I bought it from gave me an extra transmition, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Thank you much.:hammerhead: :usflag:

2. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

11hp is not enough power so you have have some issues. The reason it doesnt slow down on your trailer ramp and slows on a hill is because it is cutting grass on the hill as it is riding up.11hp is just not enough, Im sure it will last you though.

3. GilBob

GilBob LawnSite Member

Any ideas on how to make it a little faster? maybe I'll try jet fuel...:weightlifter: :cool2:

4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a thread posted on here about smaller pulleys making it faster, search for it.
    If the mower is in a very solid/strong condition and you got a really good deal on it. I would mabey buy a new engine with a bit more power.

5. GilBob

GilBob LawnSite Member

I know, I've looked into bigger engines, but for the price it would be worth for me to just buy a newer one. For now i guess i'll just push it when needed. I'm gonna take it to have it tuned up, maybe it just needs to be adjusted, or the belts might need change.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

belt slippage

7. GilBob

GilBob LawnSite Member

By the way thanks for taking your time, but does that mean that the belt needs to be replaced, or there is something else wrong? :dizzy:

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I would have to look at it, with the (mower off) engage the drive tie the handle down or what ever you have to do, then feel the belt is it loose?