1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Love Thy Neighbor, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Love Thy Neighbor

Love Thy Neighbor LawnSite Member

Hey all

I currently have a 1989 yes 1989 three wheel outfront Scag 60in / with a twin 18hp engine.
    It supposed to travel up to 7miles an hour. The speed is not always steady it goes up and down. It is a pretty durable machine and I thought that I was going at a nice speed.

Then I saw a Scag turf tiger and it is supposed to travel up to 10miles an hour. I saw a guy doing a cemetary and it looked like he was really rolling. It is a ztr and more compact.

Does the 3miles an hour difference count for a lot on the field.
    The numbers says it should but I dont know for sure. Is the speed suppose to be steady or is my mower not operationg properly?

Is their other 10mph machines out there that are better or as ggod as scag at a cheaper price?

Tell me if I buy a faster machine will I truly see the difference in the field.
  2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Always try to maintain the best possible work at the fastest speed. Yes, faster mowing equals a higher rate of production, equals more money.

10 mph? ha, that's trimming speed these days.

Check with your local dealers and try to demo the units that best suit your needs.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

LTN--I dunno about the extra MPH and work done by quitting time.

however, I can surmise that if you can't run the ZTR at speeds above 7 mph that there may not be alot of difference.

what I have been thinking about is the same question that I will pose to you..."does the out front deck offer you anything that the ztr might not.?"

and by that I mean what about mowing things that the out front can do that the mid deck can't do so well. I have a bunch of properties that the out front deck would do better but only a few that are wide open and could use the extra speed.

I am basically looking for the best bang for the buck and I don't know what that is at the present. good luck.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In my experience, the worth of extra speed really depends on your properties. What is a safe manuvering speed? How rough are the properties? ECT...

What good is speed if you can't use it? The best way I can tell you to make a fair judgement is to pay close attention to yourself and your speed for several days. You may not even realize how much you let up and slow from the 7mph you have now.

If you spend the majority of the day at full tilt, wishing for more...speed may be what you need. But if you're rarely hammer down wide open on it, paying for extra speed is a waste.

I don't know much about your properties or your machine. But mid-mount manuverability may save you more time than extra speed.

Just some food for thought...
  5. Love Thy Neighbor

Love Thy Neighbor LawnSite Member

I have never driven a midmount so I don't think I could compare the two. I do know that the out front works really well around trees. bushes firehydrants and decorative stones.

I took a year off and right now I dont have any accounts.
    Most of the accounts that Im looking at are big open field accounts were speed might help me do more jobs in a day.

I'm correct on that one.

10mph is old news? What are the fastest and safest ones on the market now . I read that dixie chopper has the fastest speed and cutting speed around.

Maybe if I bought a midmount I would keep my out front for certain jobs and a back up.
  6. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

"What are the fastest and safest ones on the market now"

Line em up boys! :dizzy:
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive owned both midmount and outfront. both are good systems.
    a couple of factors as to difference .
    the out front deck had a tendency to bounce on rough terrain,at higher speeds. for me the trim with the lazer midmount is easier as im right over the trim side and can just do closer wk.
    on the front mounts side is, easier blade access. just flip up the deck.
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

My machine was clocked at 9.5 mph. At that speed mowing "normal properties" becomes borderline dangerous. Sure you can fly on the big open straights, but most of us average 7 and under. I'd stop worrying about speed, and match your machine to the lawns it will cut. Let the other guy's drag race for the big lawns, and you just mow the smaller ones;)
  9. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We run 2 Walkers. They were both relatively equal in production for the most part. We decided to put a speed-up kit on one of them...what a diffference that made! Its supposedly only a 1 or 2mph difference but it really made a big difference between the two machines & didn't have an effect on the quality of the cut at the higher speed. Yes...the few mph gain does make a big difference in the field in our opinion.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Although it doesn't seem as if the extra 2-3 mph would make that big of a difference, - it does. Not only for the mowing speed, but for "jumping" from one section of cut grass to another. You are there like right now. I have the Gravely 300 front mount rider that does a bit over 7 mph, and I have a Lazer EPS that does 10. There is a BIG difference in the two. For the question of "Does the outfront rider offer anything the ZTR doesn't?"
    Yes. There are a few things. First, besides the obvious of being able to reack out and under things, you can also reach DOWN into a ditch, and knock out areas side by side while staying up on level ground. Another thing is maneuverability. Not necessarily tighter maneuverability, but cleaner. You can goe up to something, and unlike with a Z, you can glide around a small object in one clean sweep. This happens without the turf tearing as well. Yes, this can be accomplished with a Z, but it takes moving like going PAST your object with the deck and then "pivoting" the side of the deck into it. To go around something is alot more choppier motion.