Mower stalls when activating Blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MudFingers, Apr 3, 2007.

1. MudFingers

MudFingers LawnSite Member

Hello all,

I just purchased a used Scag mower that wasn't working, at least until about noon today. It's running great with one exception now. When I engage the blades it dies as soon as I do. I'm hoping someone may have an idea why. The blades are activated electronically, and I've tried it with the throttle on low, high, and inbetween.

Scag 52" Hydro
    SWM-52/E
    Serial 4110240

15 Horse kawasaki Engine
    Code FH500V-BS09
    E/NO FH00VA10143

OH, and just because I think it's cool, I replaced the keystart ignition with this...

[​IMG]

2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked the spindles to see if they turn freely? Also, the idler pulleys? You should be able to engage the blades at fairly low RPM, i.e. just above idle.

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What about saftey switches...

4. MudFingers

Spindles, pulleys, blades all work like they should. Everything is greased and well maintained. The only thing that is a little funky is the carb. It works good but it did need a little cleaning to make it work, and still could use a little tlc, but not much.

I don’t think it’s a safety switch because I had them working earlier in the day the first time I had it started. But I did tape down the safety handles and also switched out the key ignition which is right next to the safety switch. Maybe something got jogged or something. I’ll check that tomorrow. In the meantime I am still accepting any and all advice.

Thanks for the replies so far.

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO I would rather have uncool(old key switch)and working over cool(not working) toggel.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta agree with MM, If it was working before and not now back-track and find where you messed up installing the toggle.

7. MudFingers

The toggle switch has nothing at all to do with my problem. The toggle switch does the exact same thing as a key ignition. The only thing that could have happened is that when I was putting the switch in I may have inadvertently knocked something loose on the safety mechanism because they are so close to each other.

The toggle switch actually works great, and when I cut lawns I can pretend I can shoot missiles at people. And I’d rather pretend I can shoot missiles at people than to have a machine that works.

; )

8. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

The toggle switch actually works great, and when I cut lawns I can pretend I can shoot missiles at people. And I’d rather pretend I can shoot missiles at people than to have a machine that works.

; )[/QUOTE]

your an idiot. put the switch back the way it was. check the safety switch on the e-brake, it has to be off for blades to engage

9. MudFingers

Actually, if you want to be grammatically correct, it is "you're and idiot" not "your". But I guess sometimes we can all be idiots. Excluding you of course.

Let me set something straight, this machine did not work yesterday when I bought it. As far as I knew I was buying a machine that did not, and might not, ever work. Today it runs, and as long as it has been in my possession it has never been started without the toggle switch I put on it. The blades engaged and worked momentarily earlier on but not very well. And when they did briefly work, the toggle switch was on it. I have never, ever, started this machine with the old key ignition that was on it. I can assure you all that the toggle switch works as it should. Can we please forget about the switch and focus on ideas and solutions rather insults and humble opinions. Thank you.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OOOK, Here's a post I made earlier this evening.

The same will apply to your unit....