1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower starter only "clicks" when trying to start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CK82, Mar 27, 2009.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I have a Great Dane Super Surfer. Brand new last season. Last season I would turn the key and would here a click or it wouldnt do anything. Try it again and it would turn over fine. Now this season all I have is a "click" sound when trying to turn over the engine. Its coming from the starter. Would you think it would be the starter itself, or maybe a relay? The battery is good to go, I even tried to jump it to make sure but still only the "click" sound. Anyone had this happen, if so what was the problem?

Thank you,
  2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Start with taking off the battery cables and cleaning them off with a wire brush. I think u have a bad connection
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Does it have a charging chip in it? Could be bad and causing the battery to drain. Also even though the battery is good it may not have the juice to turn things over.
  4. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Im not sure if it has a charging chip or not. Ive actually never heard of that. I hooked it up to a jumper battery and still all I got was the "click". The battery terminals are clean as the mower is only a year old.
  5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

6. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

I had that happen after I washed the mower a couple years ago.. at that point i learned not to wash the mower.. only blow it off...

it did it a few times... but then it quit.

is this your case as well?
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Starter solenoid.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  8. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

OK thanks!
  9. Crash

Crash LawnSite Member

Try to turn the engine over and have someone tap on the starter solenoid with a hammer, if it engages and turns the engine over, you have a bad starter solenoid or you may have water, grass or excess debris in your starter assembly itself. If this is the case you can take the starter apart and clean the debris out of the gears or armeture yourself.

You can also try jumping the starter with a battery pack and jumper cables, put the pos. on the pos. terminal of the starter, where the batt. cable hooks on, and put the ground on the starter case, if the starter engages you can count out the starter as the problem.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do agree, at least for myself, I like to find out for sure before I splurge.

Now I think an easier way is to jumper the two connectors on the solenoid
    itself with either a big screwdriver or a nasty wrench or any big piece of steel.

No offense.