Mower starting technique

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Langford2000, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

I was at the dealer the other day and seen one of his workers go to move a mower and he started it up @ WOT. I was like Holy Crap and ask why he would do such a thing to a cold engine (also used choke). He told me that how you are suppoed to start it. I Always start mine @ idle and let her warm up before going to work. My question is do you guys as a rule start your equipment at idle or wide open? Just curious

2. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

I start mine wide open, but that's how I was taught...? As far as mower goes atleast, other equipment is at idle!

3. Dave Carney

Dave Carney LawnSite Member

The manuals for the mowers I've seen recommend 1/3 throttle or so. I've always started at idle though.

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

WOT is only about 3200 RPM. My car idles at that when warming up. It really wont hurt anything by having it at full RPM.

5. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

Yes but your car has a redline much higher - do you start your car with the pedal on the floor?

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Start it up at high idle, where it stays until I get the gate dropped, trimmer rack unlocked, earplugs in, and a swig of Gatorade. Then unload, get into place to start cutting, and start the blades at 1/2 throttle.
    Reverse procedure for load-up.
    I'd like to have a device similar to a turbo timer to let the engine cool and shut off on it's own. Maybe it could work off of cylinder head temp?

7. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Seriously you will not hurt the mower engine by doing this. You can run yours at the minimum but it wont hurt the engine to run at 3200 RPM from the start.

8. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

WOT here. On most W/B's with a pull start and no seperate choke, It has to start at WOT using the choke.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody ever notice how some engines seem to last forever and others die a swift death? After reading this thread it's no wonder. Start them up at full throttle, shut them off at full throttle. The abuse just goes on and on.

10. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

You beat me Richard!

That's exactly what I was thinking while reading this thread. You have to be nuts to start an engine at wot.

Can you say LUBRICATION!