Mower Stuck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaughtryLC, Jun 19, 2008.

1. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had my Z stuck a couple of times and always been lucky that someone was around to help! My ?, If I use a come-a-long can I ratchet it out. I mean can it be done farely easy or not? 60" Z

The reason I ask is Ive had a few close calls in back yards and would have never been able to get the truck back there!

But, there always seems to be a tree near by!

If this cant be done, What have you done before, for those who have had this happen?

2. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Get a portable winch.. Ive seen a couple guys do this..

3. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

12 inch super swampers on the back =P

4. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

I've used a come along to pull mine out, but be sure and take something along to wrap the tree with so as not to damage it. I carry straps for the extra length which you might need sometime these can be used as a tree wrap.

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Never have used a winch or come along before but I was always going to try it. Don't know why it wouldn't work. I was always able to use my truck. Now i use the other ztr. if you have a hydro walkbehind, you might be able to use that too.

6. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

I've used my 36 inch belt drive exmark walk behind before. Also, if you have two people, sometimes you can pull the front end to one side or the other to get on more solid ground. I guess it all depends on where you get stuck. Remember on hills if you always drive up hill and always go down hill backward you will have a lot more control.

7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

The answer is yes it will work, you can pull out much more with them if you rig it properly.

8. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep! it will work...been there done that! i have a tow strap and the come-a-long...wrap the toe strap around tree, won't hurt it and attach the come-a-long to strap then mower then ratchet away. its got me out of many jams! almost happened this past wednesday, but i got lucky. felt the tires starting to slide and i said..."oh f***" and gave it full power and didn't get stuck. thank goodness.

9. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I will go and buy me one, working solo and most cust. are not home and Id hate to waste god knows how long!!!

10. the angler

the angler LawnSite Member

its happened to me more than a few times ..getting stuck is kind of scarey not that im so worrind how im goin to get out but if im goin to get out before mr smith comes home and sees my mower planted in his yard haha i use one of the other mowers usually works fine ...a tow strap should work as long as you dont buy the three dollar 6 pack from big lots ha