Mower suggestions.. 36" ZTR vs. 48" walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Terra-Scapes, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Terra-Scapes

Terra-Scapes LawnSite Member

I've got a few properties in the 20k to 40k sq ft range and I've been mowing them with my Scag 48" walk behind. I've been searching for a deal on a ZTR with a 44", 48", or 50" deck without any luck. I just ran into a deal on a 2006 Scag 36" Z-Cat with a 19 hp Kawasaki and 50 hrs: $4k. I know it's a smaller deck, but I have heard you can run it faster than my walkbehind and that might make up for the smaller deck. I haven't used a ZTR before so I'm not sure if it will save anytime.

2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have both machines mentioned. One being an 05 Scag Z-Cat 19Kawi, and the other being an 06 Scag SWZ 48" with sulkie. I can do 22k in 37min with Z-cat and 40 min with SWZ and sulkie. Both timed on same yrd. Good Luck!!
  3. Terra-Scapes

After looking at your numbers I guess it really doesnÂ’t matter either way. I need two machines for back-up/repair downtime and I want two machines for use with a helper, but I'm not sure if it would be more advantageous to just buy a new Scag Turf Tiger 52", 27hp Kohler air-cooled engine or a Scag Wildcat 52", 26hp Kawasaki liquid-cooled engine or even a Scag Tiger Cub 48", 23hp Kohler air-cooled engine. I'm sure the finance payments would be close to what they would be if I bought the used mower.

Cut time would decrease with the larger, faster machines, but is it really worth it??
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Having larger machines allows the job to get done faster, meaning you can get more jobs done per day. You will increase your productivity and this may lead you to take on larger residential as well as commercial properties. JMO
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Sorry my bad, the time stated is from dropping the gate to closing gate. This includes trimming, edging, blowing with 2 people. The actual mowing times on all my yard are within 1-3 min of each other with either mower.
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

This yrd is aprox 36k was done with 36" Scag Z-Cat in 52 minutes. This includes frnt yrd, bk yrd, edging drive, edging beds, trimming etc... x2ppl
    Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!!

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Here is another pic

8. Terra-Scapes

Thanks for the info CuttinEdge. Thats exactly what i was looking for; job size: job time ratio.

If you dont mind me asking, how much do you charge per cut for that 36K sq ft location?

Oh, by the way, nice job on the yard it looks really sharp.

9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It will save you time down the road, and most of all, energy. I bet you can do 20 yards with 48 hydro wb, but you will increase to 30 or more with rider.
    I experienced this with how I felt when operating 52" eXmark wb, and after I got my Gravely 52" Z. Yes, hydro wb can do fine, but the rider is the ticket.
    Now, I see 800k house or more, I am eager to bid and fight for business cause I know how I have energy enough to you see what I mean?

I know it is very expensive piece of equipment, the Z, but it rewards you like you wish you had started with it as the 1st thing to buy for this business. period.
  10. rocksnlawns

rocksnlawns LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Belt Drive Scag (which is what i've used for last 5 yrs. by itself) and just bought a 42" Z-Cat Scag, I now use the Z-CAt exclusively, the biggest advantage is my hands no longer ache from all of the excercise they used to get (not sure if the aching hands is any better with the Hydro or not), I probably save 10 minutes per yard (most are right around 10K) using the Z, now I have moments where I wish had gone bigger (when doing my own yard (2.5 acres) in particular.Which I can do in 1 and 15 minutes (just mowing). Good Luck !!!