Mower tareing up grass on turns.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 22, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I use a 48" Viking and a 36" Metro HP and the problem I am having is probably a simple fix but I've tried everything I can think of. The problem I'm having is while turning to the left or right, more evident on right turns is the mowers are leaving almost divet like marks on some of our lawns. Iv'e tried making one extra pass around properties before I begin to do the straight passes so I'm not turning so sharp and have tried slowing down when turning etc and nothing seems to be working. My Viking is older but runs like new and my Metro is brand new this year (only used it 2 times on my yard). Any thoughts? :dizzy:

2. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

Now is it the deck divitoing the ground?
    And if so maby yor tire pressure is to low

3. nobagger

from Pa

No scag, its the tires. I thought it may have been the deck but its definetly the tires

4. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

Maby your tires need replacing i would say.

5. nobagger

from Pa

Brand new tires on the HP and good tires on the Viking

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I recently bought a exmark HP also and have noticed the same thing and I have a 52" TT HP and it did it also. There is a technique in turning them without tearing up the lawn. Try to avoid making either wheel stop completely when turning ,....this is hard to explain but when you go to do a zero turn ...lets say to the right ...when you spin around ...dont let the right wheel stop completly while you are in the turn....maybe try making a wider turn and while your turning allow both wheel to stay in motion. .....Maybe some one else can explain it better but thats the best i can do ..hope this helps.

7. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Do a 3 point turn.

8. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

it could have something to do w/ your pivot point. when making turns these mowers use one wheel to pivot on and one wheel to drive to pull you through the turn. the pivot point wheel digs into the grass, twists, and then tears up the grass or leaves a "divot". i have the same problem and am experimenting w/ different styles of driving.
    main idea: make sure both wheels are always turning
    1. make the turn by having one wheel go forward, one backward (makes a quick turn but works)
    2. make wider turns, maybe mow in a way where you dont mow row after row and somehow vary it (havent figured this one out myself, but coudl work)

good luck

9. nobagger

from Pa

Thanks guys, and yes the 3 point turn is the way to go. I just talked to a friend of mine on the phone, (he owns a bigger llc) and he uses the 3 pt turn. The only bad thing is my Metro is gear driven so this will be a real experiment LOL Thanks again. :waving:

10. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive never heard the term 3 point turn ...please explain