mower technicalities

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by natewybenga, Jul 28, 2004.

1. natewybenga

natewybenga LawnSite Member

Hi guys...

I just purchased a used 1998 52" snapper commercial wb with hydro drive. I am trying to get used to it, and I have a couple of questions. First, whenever I turn in the grass it seems to tear the grass and sometimes even expose the dirt...is this because I have too much air in the tires? Also, the right wheel hydro line is not sealed right, so it leakes a small amout. I have a new hydro line, but I am wondering if I can change it myself or if I should take it to a dealer? If I can change it myself, what do you use to seal the line. Thanks for your help.

Nate Wybenga

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never seen a pro using a snapper rider,,,,,you might not get any answers to this question!

if it is tearing the grass, never let one wheel STOP while turning, keep both tires moving all the time even if one is in reverse!

3. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

norm al is 100% right, you cannot lock/stop the inside wheel or like you said it will tear up the grass, you must keep it moving foward (very slowly) or in reverse.

4. J-dub

J-dub LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

He said it's a WB.

Do a search on "Y" turning. Basically you turn the mower 180 degrees without having wheels stop.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Hydraulics are very tricky. If you get air into the system you must bleed the air out. Sometimes this can drive you up the wall. Trust me, been there and done that. Air will kill hydraulics, since the air creates a pocket which prevents the fluid from moving.

Replace the line, Tighten the lower part of the hose. Leave the upper part loose. Start machine, engage controls (do this with the wheels off the ground). Fluid should come out, with a burst of air, then fluid again. Stop machine, tighten and run around. DON'T TIGHTEN TO HARD OR THE SEAT IN FITTING WILL BREAK. (again been there, done that, Kubota parts are expensive) A little run time will work the rest of the air out of the system.

Quick question which line is leaking? The front or back one on the wheel motor? Because you want to spin the tires so the fluid goes through the pump, then the hose you replaced. Other wise you will suck the air into the wheel motor. Then you got problems.

6. natewybenga

natewybenga LawnSite Member

it is the reverse hydro