Mower throws brake pad through house

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnagent, May 1, 2003.

1. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

A client of mine told me this story. 2 days ago a LCO was mowing a vacant lot next to their house. There was a brake pad in the lot and the mower picked it up and threw it through a screen door, front door, living room wall and imbedded it halfway into the shower stall behind the living roomwall! Just shows the importance of walking over, a property before you mow it. Even one thats familliar to you. If someone had been standing in the door or the right place in the living room they coulda been killed!:eek:
  2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

A brake pad seems kinna heavy to be picked a throwen that far...
  3. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Well I kinda thought that myself but the house was right next door to the vacant lot. However once in a while, you can hit something just right and sent it flying a "mile" so to speak. I hit a big stick or small log in the grass one time and almost clocked my helper with part of it. He was a good distance away and the discharge side was pointing away from him. But man it sent that thing flying.
  4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

It got all of it. Luckily nobody was hurt. This why we stress the importance of insurance.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I swear the decks of some mowers love to launch stuff. It is incredible the distance that some objects will get thrown. Safety, good judgment, insurance and a closed OCDC are all very important.

6. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

when i used to cut next to this golf course we had to mow some pretty steep banks/high grass. we went slow but sometimes them white little orbs have been sitting there awhile and well you get the idea.i hit a cluster of 3 one day and bang! eagled #3 and had a nice chip shot for #4 :D luckily it was closed that day or it couldve' been ugly.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i used to mow a house whose back yard was on the ninth hole of a golf course....first time i was mowing it...i hit a golf ball and it shot three yards over. luckily nobody was out, and it didnt hit anything. ever since then i would walk the whole back yard before i would start mowing.
  8. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

slowleak .. lmao!

Too funny.

I sent a golfball into the side of my dads truck from about 15 ft.

WOW! Sounded like a gun firing, and left a nasty little concaved dent.
  9. Softball is worse..........

Wouldn't have seen the brake pad anyways.
  10. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I've shot a croquet bal once about 100 ft. That was only with the 21" too so I don't know what my Scag is capable of :D