Mower tie-down system? also, how to balance?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

This is regards to a ztr, but could be for a wb too (tie-down to the tralier for transit).

Saw on trimmertrap.com a tie-down system that looks heavy duty but you have to bolt a part on the front of your deck to mount it, which I will not do, not to mention how hard that would be on the deck when you hit the brakes.

At green-touch.com they have the "faststrap" system that looks interesting. Anyone have it? I'd like to know if it is good or junk, because it looks interesting. It looks like you roll the front tires over the chock that is mounted to the floor of the trailer and then the strap grabs onto the tire.

I'm currently using a ratchet strap which goes over one of the arms in the front and then loops around the other before fastening to the other side of the tralier. Almost anything wouldbe better.

The other question is where to mount the system so I get the best balance of the trailer so it pulls easier. With all my equipment loaded, I have about 2 in front of and behind my ztr. Where shoudl it rest in relation to the tandem axels (rear tires of mower in front of front axel, in the middle, etc.)?

Any thoughts? How do you do yours?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The wheel clamp is a MUST, it works very well and they have a NEW ratchet that will not crush when the anti scalp wheel hits it.

Put your mower on the trailer and go for a ride and adjust as necessary.
    John

3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

------ i built the ultimate holddown for mower, better than all those other systems out there because it is fast and it is even able to lock your machine to the trailor for security purposes very simple and easy to use i would post pics but i dont know how also i was thinking about patenting it so why would i post pics then total time to lock in place 2 sec one pin

4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

looks like i cant say a members name it could be offensive i guess

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I have the GreenTouch hold down...AWESOME...... I just flip it to the side and I'm off..... no problem gettin' back on the trailer..... straps are to the side, no snags..... IT IS FAST..... My chocks are mounted so my Lazer can face forward when I have my WB on behind it, or backwards when it's alone, so there's not too much tongue weight (better balance) I only have a 12' trailer, so this works OK..... I was using ratchet straps before.... they took about 1 1/2 minutes for me to secure.... GreenTouch takes about 20 seconds total......... much easier, mower's in the same place on trailer, every time, FAST.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Nav, thanks for the input. Sounds like this is the system for me. Also, thanks for the idea about placing the chocks in a position to put my z forward or backward - I hadn't even thought of that!
    Do you use one for each side of would that be overkill?

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

After years of strapping down my equipment the best I could, I would still get a lot of bouncing and movement. My problem was that most of my tiedown force was not purely downward- squash the tires type of force. I solved this by threading a heavy duty ratchet strap through a floor board of my trailer on one side of my mower underneath the trailer and across to another gap in the boards on the opposite side of my mower. Hook it together across the top of my mower deck and crank it down. Doesnt budge at all now.

9. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

Ditto. I have the GreenTouch system as well it is AWESOME.

10. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I do have 2 tie downs for the Lazer.... one for each rear wheel....... not overkill in my opinion..... best $50.00 I've spent this year.... buy them straight from green-touch..... same $$ or less than anybody else selling their product.

As far as the forward/backward position..... I did this:

I pulled my Z on forward right to the front of the trailer, and put the chocks under it, and marked their position.... then I put it on backwards in the same spot, to see how the balance would be..... with my 12' trailer, the axle postition made it almost perfect to tow if alone on trailer and backwards, or forward with WB behind it..........
    When mounting the chocks..... be sure to thread the straps before you mount it, or you'll go nuts tryin once they're screwed down......... Also, be sure your bagger (if you have one) will clear at the sides when tied in....... I mounted the chocks dead center (left to right) so the Lazer fits with the Ultra Vac on, simply by parking just off center.... tires are wider than the chocks, so this still works OK......
    Oh yeah.... incidentally... they hold a Quad pretty well too!