1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mower tires killed grass???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eslawns, May 17, 2001.

1. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I got a message today from a vacation customer who says my mower tires killed his grass. When I mowed, the grass had some yellow spots. All the lawns around here do, there hasn't been much rain. Now he seems convinced that my machine tracked glyphosate on his lawn or something. Any suggestions?
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

since he knows what it was, ask him how you got it on your tires. shoudda left a large puddle somewhere and he should be able to tell you where.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Let him know that when we are short on rain, it always happens. As soon as it rains or he waters it, the tracks will be gone. When the turf is short of moisture, this happens all over the world, even in Chicago. ;)
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him next time the round up will be on the tires. lol.;)

Good luck, if he is like most "knowitall" homeowners your in for a fight.
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Happens to a couple of my lawns at least once a season.

Pick up the $24 copy of the Ortho problem solver, theres a photo of this exact problem under "drought damage" picture is worth a thousand words to these chowderheads.
  6. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Explain the weather situation to the customer; tell him you have no control over watering his property and when it is dry as hell you will track the lawn. This sounds like he wants a free cut at your expense. Is he a good customer? Does he pay you promptly for services rendered? Is the time you spend on “customer maintenance” worth the trouble for a vacation cut.

After explaining the water situation to “Mr. Idoenomyas fromaholein ground” send him down the road the next guy where he can share his vast knowledge and wisdom.
  7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

When the grass starts to dry out good, the stems will be easy to break. So your mower tires broke a lot of the stems. Even after you get water again, these brown strips will show for a while until new stems and leaves fill in. Have even seen brown footprints across a lawn from this effect.

This will generally happen just as the turf is drying out. It needs to be cut because it has grown some, but it is dry enough to cause the damage. If no irrigation, it probably will be dormant by next cutting, and will not need service until watered again.
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Carry a backpack sprayer of green paint and go over the spots, Send him his Final bill and get a customer that isn't an idiot.:eek:
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

in dry weather like we have had never allow the tires to run in the same tracks as last mow. even this wont stop all damage but will help avoid some.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Give him the name of a good therepist and dump him