Mower tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Grass, May 24, 2006.

1. Green Grass

Green Grass LawnSite Member
    from MN

Does anybody know of a good place that is cheep where i can get tires on the rim for my mowers. I am looking to have spare tires around for my mowers.

2. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

I don't know about spare tires, that would be expensive. I carry an air tank and a plug kit with me. I can put a plug in and fill it back up a lot faster than I could change the tire. It even works for trailer tires. Just a suggestion.

3. I've found some at a dealer that were taken off of new mowers pretty cheap.
    Other than that the cheapest place I've found is Cedar Rapids Tire.
    Why are you wanting spares? Are you having a lot of flats? I used to before I started using sealer in everything. Now when I change a worn out tire I'm amazed at all the crap poking into the inside of the tire.

Dave

4. Green Grass

Green Grass LawnSite Member
    from MN

I guess i am looking more to replace worn tires and keep one worn for a spare.

5. JamesGarfield

JamesGarfield LawnSite Member

Green Grass asked:

>Does anybody know of a good place that is cheep where i can get tires on the rim for my mowers. I am looking to have spare tires around for my mowers.<

I cruised Ebay and bought a complete set of spare tires and wheels for the mower. Used, and even with shipping, it was cheaper than new. They don't take up much space in the trailer. With a small sissors jack, a tire can be swapped in 5 minutes.

I invested in inner tubes for all the wheels, and loaded them up with about a half gallon of Slime. Some folks don't like that stuff, but it works great for me. I can run over thorns and nails and (groan) pieces of hay bailing wire that one of my ranch clients throws into his grass all the time. If it gets a puncture, it just goes ppppsssssffffttpppt, and seals itself. Cool.

But what I still get flatted from at times, is something gouging a hole in the sidewall. Some of the ranch areas I mow are pretty rough, and I'm not sure if it's maybe an old stump or a piece of debris... but it'll put an inch long gash through sidewall and the tube, then it's Flat City Blues that even Slime can't fix. I'm wondering if I should get the foam filling for some of these tires.

Anyway, my 2c worth.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah the air tank is nice but I find the weight and volume a bit of a pita, still...

I carry fix-a-flat because that's halfway decent air but also like yourself plugs and inner tube repair kit (for the castors and barrow) and a 12v plug-in compressor (thou most are cheapo POS).

As for tires, check some aftermarket like:
    http://j-thomas.com/main_pages/OLcatalog_06.html#Tires