mower trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by The landscaper, Mar 21, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

The other day I was running 2 of my walkbehinds around.

A week later I went to start them up and one of them does absolutley nothing. It is a 14 hp kohler and it has good spark and is getting gas. About every 10-15 pulls it pops, or backfires. Not sure what to do with that.

Also, I have a another walk behind. 18 hp kohler, same thing. Using it a week ago and now its got something wrong. I started it and it ran for about 30 seconds and died, and now, it wont start at all. I changed both plugs in it and check the gas flow, its good through the filter but doesnt seem like the carb is getting anything. If i pour alittle gas in the carb is runs for a bit. This one does have a fuel pump but i'm not sure how to check it out.

Thanks

2. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I'd check the anti back fire solenoid on the carb. first, it will stop the gas flow to the engine if its not working. Then the safety switches. Make sure all the wire connections are tight. The PTO connection also.Sometimes this will make you crazy trying to find it. good luck

3. Sounds like water in the gas or maybe just rotten gas. Did you use Sta-Bil or equivilant for the winter storage? Have you flushed the system and tried fresh gas? This is what I would start with.

4. The landscaper

What is the anti back fire solenoid. I have never heard of that. I will have to go through all the wires, maybe I just bumped something loose.

I did put stabil in them over winter, but I should probably try to flush them with new gas. But, the scag isnt even getting gas into the carb. I took the bowl off and there was no gas running through.

Thanks

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

More than likely the fuel pump is not working. Here's how to test it:

Remove the fuel line from the carburetor and crank the engine several times and observe fuel flow from the line.

If fuel does not flow from the line, check for a clogged fuel line. If the fuel line is unobstructed, check for overfilled crankcase and/or oil in the pulse line. The pulse line comes from the crankcase. Be sure it is not broken and is connected to the pump. If none of these checks reveal the cause of the problem, replace the pump. Hope that helps.

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

make sure the fuel shutoff is open :p

7. The landscaper

haha i had to double check it...lol

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Two machines acting up at the same time? I would check the gas tanks for water and trash. I would also check the gas cans as well. If you have water in the gas or bad gas it could end up in all of our equipment if it came from the gas cans.

9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree with Fixer...You had both of them running, and now BOTH are kaput? Think backwards...You did something common to both mowers when you had them running or right afterwards. Something common to both of them. For the same symptons to happen on both...think about it. Go backwards in what you did. You will figure it out.

10. The landscaper

That was one of thoughts except for the 18hp one is not even sucking gas through. There is no gas in in the bowl.