1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower troubles

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by shorty7616, Apr 13, 2006.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I've got a 2001 Exmark Metro. Just recently it won't accelerate after I turn around. I have to put it in fifth gear just to make it move, and a lot of the times it will completely stall on any incline. The only idea I have is the drive belt. Anyone have a clue?
  2. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

is the engine bogging down or just your forward motion? if it is just forward motion ,most likely its the belt that goes to the tranny ,sometime its just the idler pulley lousing tension on the belt
  3. shorty7616

Thanks, Traman. That fixed that problem. However, I have another one now.

A couple of weeks ago the blade belt would slip off of the pulley whenever I disengaged the blade. It ate up one belt. I then started to throttle down before I disengaged the blade, and that seemed to help.I also tightened the belt. Today, though, the belt slipped off, so I put it back on. A few minutes later I smelled burning rubber so I stopped, throttled down, and disengaged, but when I disengaged the belt came flying off.
  4. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you need a new belt and everything just needs to be adjusted.
  5. shorty7616

I've already used 2 new belts on it though.
  6. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Then its not the belt. It could be any number of things like a pulley or linkage. If youre not sure you should have a mechanic look at it.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree PGA, Sounds like maybe the belt guides are out of adjustment or could be a idler pulley trying to lock up.
  8. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I had this exact same problem on a 90's metro... Everytime the deck would bounce when the blade wasnt engaged, it would throw the belt off the pullys therefore making you shut the mower off pull the top cover fix it and then hope it dont **** up again...VERY FRUSTRATING... After a couple of belts burned up, I eventually put a couple of bolts through the deck around the belt to make sure it couldnt come off again. That seemed to solve that problem... Wish I had some pics, but I sold that mower at the end of last season. If you choose that route to fix your problem, dont put the bolts too close to the belt, otherwise youll kill ur belt again... hope that helped alittle...