Mower tunes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardboyltd, Jun 9, 2002.

1. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I consider music on a mower a distraction and possible safety hazard. However I was just wondering if there is anyone on here that listens to music while working. I mow a couple apartment complexes where I can be in the Z seat for 6 hours straight and it gets a little old especially on humid days. I find myself singing to myself alot.

I mow several secluded lots where it could be relatively safe. I would consider actual open air speakers safer than headphones...

My super rich neighbor has a ZTR with a 4" tuner TV on the front hood to mow his 6 acres for watching baseball... I would think that very distracting.

I've had several customers ask me if I had a CD player on my mower. I tell them well it should for what it cost...

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

First, I hope you realize that 6 hours in the seat will give plenty of time in a wheelchair by the time you're 50.
    I'd much rather make $70 an hour doing the small stuff "riders" pass up. Just think, 15 minutes mowing, 7 minutes weedwhacking, and 3 minutes blowing the walks.... for $35. Then it's 5 minutes to the next stop. Sure beats a "full" hour actually riding, regardless if you're making $85/hour. Also, you don't get board, plus you get "10" minutes each hour in the truck with the A/C on.

Pete

3. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i listen to music while i mow. It is really just like lsitening to music while you drive. You don't really pay that much attention to it but it does keep a beat in your head. I also find that it keeps my tempo up and i get more done faster. Hope that helps.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yes
    use personal CD player running off of homemade cigarette lighter socket that has gator clips on it to hook to the battery, most cd players come with a 12V DC cigarette lighter. Plug that adapter into the lighter socket and put the cd player in a little handy pouch from walmart for $15 (in the bike section) that has a zipper top and a pocket for a water bottle (comes with one) and has a strap on it like a fanny pack (those should work if they're big enough) and strap that onto the seat springs, tightly so it won't bounce off. Get a CD player with a good 45 second anti skip, and don't drive too fast over rough ground. Or hang it from something so it suspends and won't skip as easy. You can also use a little tape player or stereo in this pouch. So far I use the standard headphones but I'd like to make ones that are little speakers inside of big soundproof safety ear muffs (for gun shooting etc). That would be cool.
    Gotta have music when I'm working!
    Eric

5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

So do you suggest I sell my ZTR, market soley at small residentials, and pushmow the apartment complexes?

In fact, I plan on pursueing larger commercials next year for the greater benefits. More job security because not everybody can jump in on these accounts, there not as picky usually, etc...

Explain exactly why I would end up in a wheelchair by the time I'm 50 by sitting in fully suspended seat maneuvering at applicable speeds for close quarters mowing... Oh and those 10 min inbetween lawns isn't making you money, it's costing you gas, etc.. So is evertime you stop you have to walk back and forth to the truck to get trimer and blower... And I tend not to run AC inbetween yards because it's tough on me to get back out :)

6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I sing to myself the whole time while I'm mowing, some customers have laughed in the past. :D :cool:

7. JET

JET LawnSite Member

I think that music is a motivator and can be listened to while working. Like it was said above, you listen to music while operating a vehicle. That is a lot more dangerous then a piece of landscape equipment. There are also a lot more people out on the road while you are driving and listening to music, so more of a chance of hurting someone. I feel that listening to a CD player, a tape player, or my choice an MP3 player, is safe and motivating while running a machine. Maybe you should try listening to some music while you are mowing one of your secluded lawns as you said. If you can do it there with no problem, then give it a shot on one of your more open areas with more traffic. You never know, it could even make you more productive and put more $ in your pocket.

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I use elvex ear muffs with the radio, and if my battery dies while im mowing i have to change them as soon as possible. I cant see mowing a lawn without them. Ive had them for 3 years now, and they arent distracting by any means. You can still hear the equipment and your surroundings. I would suggest giving them a try. I guarentee you wont be sorry when you use them

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I use(d) Elvex's headset for the past 3 seasons. Cant mow without them! Just bought a pair of Peltors 3 weeks ago. The Peltors have FM, AND AM! (AM reception is a little funky) But I find that the Peltors aren't as comfortable as the Elvex's, and for some reason push in on my ears a bit? Like they're meant for small ears??? (Thats what I have! Hate to see a BIG eared person try these!)
    The Peltors also dont sound as nice as the Elvex's. Too Basy not enough trebile. Also, on the Peltors, I find that if you bump it wrong, the channel changes too easily. The only complaint I have with the Elvex's is the headband that goes across the top of your head, it GRABS every stinkin' branch that you go under and quickly removes the muffs from your head! The Peltors have a real thin padded head band. The Peltor Ear cups stick out further to the sides than the Elvex's. They both protect about the same from outside noise. Wouldn't advise Against buying either, they're both excellent quality.

I cant see mowing without hearing protection for anybody. Your ears are one short step down from your eyesight, and should be taken more seriously in our profession!

Oh, and the music really makes the day go better, and when your singin', at least your singin' along to a cool new song, not just singin' in your head to the song you last heard in your truck!!!

10. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I have on order a set of the Peltor Worktunes right now as we speak. Tracking the order on UPS shows it should be in my hands on Wednesday.. I'll see how they go, I'm looking forward to getting them for sure!