1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mower types and sizes

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by skurkp, Jan 11, 2006.

1. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I normally don't do residential, but because I have a few commercial owners that don't want two service providers I do service their homes. I get asked to take on more residential business so I think this year I will. I don't use a larger walk behind on residential jobs because of rutting, I use 21" Ariens and they work great. Mow different direction every mow. I was just wondering what type of mowers everyone is using on residential jobs and if they. I see posts on here about some companies using ztr's on residential jobs, ( not my choice) but would like to hear some views on efficiency and how you keep from rutting the yards.
  2. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

come on guys, no one wants to help? Or is no-one doing residential work?
  3. Blade-o-grass

Blade-o-grass LawnSite Member

I mow with a 21" snapper....Works great for me.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I run two 60" Lazers and a 32" walkbehind. Obviously the residentials you are doing are quite different that mine.

It's just the norm around here, you wouldn't be able to make any money. A $30 lawn would take you over an hour with a 21". with a Z it's 20mins.
  5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

We use the lazer hp 48 inch, 52 inch walkbehinds and 36 inch mowers on residentials. We don't leave ruts unless we have a spell of a long wet period and that is when the ruts begin. If you are using the 21 you are just losing time by not using your bigger equipment. I am looking into going with the 52 ztr's this year. What size mowers are your other mowers?
  6. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

36" GreatDane which I absolutely hate. 2 60" Hustler ztr's. 2 21" Ariens.
    I hear people complain about ruts all of he time and I get asked if I want the work. Well maybe but I thought that the smaller residential lawns don't offer a lot of mowing directions so there for ruts. Trying to decide if I want to do residential.
  7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Like I said the only time I have an issue with ruts is after a period of rain. On my residential I can go north south, east west and diagonal with no problems. Some of these I consider a postage stamp size. I just make sure each lawn gets cut a different way each time we are there. Unfortunately ruts do happen sometimes, I try to explain to the customers that when they signed up they were told of the equipment that we use. I try to stay away from using the 21 because of the amount of time it uses up. Time is money for us.
  8. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

9. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris 52" Kaw25HP, 1500 something er other, love it.
    Stihl trimmer
    22" push mower from wal-mart

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

48" WB seems the best to me. I have used 32, up to 52", and 48" seem the best