mower use

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by natureman, Feb 19, 2002.

1. natureman

natureman LawnSite Member

I`m new to the lawn cutting business as of this spring . I was involved in lawn pesticide spraying the past 10 years. Since I was in a partnership that wasn`t working I decided to go it alone and try the cutting end. I know very little about this end of the business so I would appreciate your insight. I`m not sure I know when a walk-behind is most practical and when the ride-on is best . ie. can I mow 3 acres lots with a walk behind or am I going to be dead at the end of the day?ARe the walk-behinds practical on 50'x100'lots or should I just use the 21" commercial mower. Help! Thanks
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

u may be tired ,but u can walk yourself in to super condition.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Let the cocky young guys walk. If you are mowing anything over 1/2 acre you want to ride. 50" is good size 60 feels big in smaller yards. Walk behinds will be fine for smaller yards. IMHO

4. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

If you are just starting out, you may want to consider getting a WB mower. If you only have a couple of bigger yards, you can get a sulky to connect to the back of the WB and ride when the yard is big, and walk when ever else you want to. That way you control how tired you are at the end of the day!

Good luck to you,
  5. Messenger Gardens

Messenger Gardens LawnSite Member

For just starting out, I would recommend a wb versus a ztr or other rider (unless capital is not a concern -- then get one of each). Since you are going to have some large mows, get a wb with enough gitty-up to pull a sulky and not bog down in wet grass. We have found 48" to 52" wb's with 17 hp to 20 hp engines to be sufficient. Strongly urge you get a hydraulic drive versus gear drive. More cost, but well worth it.

Good Luck!!
  6. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Hey Natureman were you able to split any accounts with your old partner or was he a take it all guy? Anyway I use both 48" mowers (walk behinds) and 60" mowers (riders). The walk behinds are good for most of the work we do. We use the riders on the bigger open, flat land accounts. On a 50'-100' lot I would use a 48" mower although I have seen guys use 60" ZTR's. For a 3 acre lots if its mainly flat land go with a 60" mower. If your Just starting out and either money or lack of accounts are a problem get a 48" mower first. A 21" mower is good for small hills that a 48" mower may scalp the lawn. A 36" mower is good for small gated lawns.

Hope that helps.
  7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey, rule of thumb, u want to use the biggest u can on the property within reason that will give u a good look.