1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower vibration when blades engaged

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lorge, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Lorge

Lorge LawnSite Member

On my Toro 44" walk behind 15hp kaw I get a vibration only when I engage the blades. It causes the whole piece the engine is resting on to wiggle up and down causing the engine to move up and down a little. I checked the motor mounts and they are as tight as can be. What could it be?
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

bad spindle or bent blade
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

How About a flat spot on the belt or a bent pulley or a stick jammed in a pulley, Just need to take your time and check it out and you will find the problem.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Tilt the mower back and grab the blade with two hands( hold the ends) . See if there,s any play in the spindle, by pushing and pulling on the blade , at the same time. It should be tight. If the bearings are shot, you'll feel the blade move too far.
  5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Bent blade bolt maybe. :)
  6. Lorge

Lorge LawnSite Member

Are there any bearings in the output shaft of the engine that could be worn? Or could it be something with the clutch?
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you have performed all the above mentioned checks and havn't found anything wrong then I would remove the clutch and check it, If a bearing is bad it could let the pulley miss align and cause a vibration, You wouldn't want to think about a crank bearing, If this were the case you would have the vibration all the time.