1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mower went swimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laborador, Apr 26, 2004.

1. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

I am the stupid one today letting my mower go into a swimming pool. All because of my carelessness. My customers sprinkler system was on when I was mowing, so instead of waiting for them to finish, I went ahead and started mowing. My footing on the sulky was getting slippery and you guessed it, as I was turning aroung the pool my foot slipped and I reacted my grabbing the right handle to the ECS and the mower whipped sharply right into the pool. I called the homeowner and he came out to help me get it out. I took my 36 lexmark to the shop and had it serviced and everything is running okay. Please tell me that this has happened to someone else here so I do not feel like a moron.
  2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Seen (or heard) of it happening alot of times, as far as in water. (but not actually in a swimming pool) Happens more than you might think.
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer with a steep hill in the back and I was mowing verticle, and it was slippery, and i was just able to halt before dropping into the lake. I left a nice grind mark in the lawn though. My heart was pounding.

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume it wasn't a caged pool? I have never done that, but have done some pretty stupid things before. Don't feel bad, at least no one got hurt, right?, and it sounds like your machine is ok.
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I sunk a 36" eXmark Viking in a ditch, up to the handle bars. Never stopped running, bubbles everywhere. Me= moron
  6. laborador

the pool was not caged and no one got hurt. Could of hurt my back getting it out, Luckily it went in on the 4ft side instead of the 7 feet side, 2 of us had to get in to lift it straight up and out. A good lesson learned, never mow around a swimming pool when it is raining or the sprinklers are on.
  7. laborador

I sunk a 36" eXmark Viking in a ditch, up to the handle bars. Never stopped running, bubbles everywhere. Me= moron

Do you still have that mower, has it given you any problems since then, I assume you drain all your fluids.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Did it contaminate the water? I figure oil and gas would have gotten out into the pool water.
  9. laborador

I called the homeowner this evening and asked if his pool cleaning person would charge extra to clean all the grass and dirt that was in the pool. I did not notice any fuel or oil. I would be curious to know if the chlorine in the pool would eliminate oil and gas. I told the homeowner that if the pool guy does charge extra just take it out of this months bill.
  10. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a walkbehind in to a lake. I was trying to get as close as possible to save some weedwacking, hit a bump, turned to the left and in it went. It was a lake on a golf course right where they tee off from. Everyone had a good laugh but me.