Mower went UNDER water, what to do???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, May 3, 2002.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

One of my mower to a side trip from the yard into a creek full of water, the only thing sticking out was the top of the gass tank and the handels....i need a general summation of what all needs to be overlooked before using?? Thanks in advance.... btw it is a SCAG 48" belt drive w/ 17 hp kaw vtwin and peerless 5spd tranny if that helps for anything..... 48" fixed deck...

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

How long was it under?

3. I would sell that thing on Ebay.

4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go to the nearest Exmark dealer and buy a new one. <G>

Or at least goto a reputable mechanic and see what they can do with it.

I know that if you try to start it, and there's water in the cylinder(s), etc, you can do more damage than good. So bringing it to a shop where they can drain the gas, and basically do a whole tune-up of the mower before going any further would probably be the best bet.

Ya probably need to change the gas, the oil, spark plug and air filter right off the bat.

Gary

5. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

really its not that much of a problem. just drain the all the fluids and start it back up. if its got a noise like rodney is knockin at your door, that means it took on too much water before it shut down. rebuild or sell if thats the case.

6. BobbyBcuttin

BobbyBcuttin LawnSite Member

About 4 years ago my wife ran are new stratus into 4 feet of water it hydro locked the engine and bent all 4 rods at first i thought the starter was shorted out changed it still wouldn't crank hooked my truck to it to try to pull start it droped the clutch in 5th gear nothing would turn the front wheels just scooted 500 doller deductible and 2 weeks later new motor. The first thing i would do would be drain the oil then see if the motor will turn over if it will then do a full tuneup,gas oil,plugs,filters,blow everything out good then you should be good to go.

7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the million dollar question: WAS IT RUNNING WHEN IT WENT UNDER? If so, you will have water in your cylinders, and you need to take it, flip it over with the sparkplug OUT, and crank it over by hand. Allow it a good week to dry everything, the starter, the ignition, everything must dry. Along with the things the other guys siad, gas change, oil change, tranny oil change, etc.. etc.. etc.. Just dont forget that if you have water in your cyls, you will blow the motor if you try to run it.

8. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

You could get some scuba gear and go into the seaweed maintenance business. Hey, this is a totally new niche. Sorry but couldnt resist. hehe.

9. GreenIsland

GreenIsland LawnSite Member

Simply drain the fluids from the engine block, and the peerless transmission - replace them and all should be allright. Make certain you give it time to drain all of the water out.

10. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i had to salvage two of my motorcycles after it flooded here one time. when i got to them they were coated in mud and looked like they'd never run again. they'd sat in standing water for about a week. engines are basically all the same so this is what i did, and i'm no mechanic... drain all your fluids first, take off the carb and clean it thoroughly, let your air filter dry out and re-oil it, if the gas tank on your machine is metal check for rust and clean it using a rag on the end of a stick or coat hanger to knock the rust loose and flush it. for good measure put a fuel filter into the fuel line if it doesn't have one already... take off your exhaust system and flush it out... pull out your spark plugs and crank the system by hand and use a hair dryer or a fan to blow air into the engine from the exhaust side while the valves are open so it dries out the enter inside of the engine... if you take off the oil fill cap you should be able to feel air pushing out if the valves are open... next fill it back up with all fluids run it just long enough to get warm, drain the oil again... if you had mud in your engine like i had, you'll have milky oil.. if it's not discolored in any way, fill it back up and your ready to go.. if it is discolored then you'll just have to keep putting some in and draining it until it becomes completely clean....