mower winch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fblandscape, Jun 22, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Anybody ever mounted a winch on their ZTR's? I was just thinking about this today while mowing in the rain. Figured it would help for those times when you get stuck, or what have you.

2. Anything that's affordable I wouldn't want.

I was stuck a couple of days ago. Soft spot down by some woods. The Toro 580-D dropped into a hole about a foot deep.
    My old come-a-long was at my son-in-law's. So I went to TSC and bought a new 2 ton one for $15. With my son feathering the traction pedal it pulled it right out. And the Toro weighs 6600#

I have a couple of small chains. For the long pulls I have a piece of 1/4" cable. It's a lot lighter than chain and easier to carry.

Dave

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Two weeks ago at a large farm (actually, commercial thoroughbred horse operation) I got my JD 1600 stuck up to the hubs in pure, genuine Horseshit.

I also went to TSC and also bought a 2-ton "come-along."

We inched it out 1 fence-post at a time for 2 hours then gave up and called in a big JD farm tractor to pull it out.

It was the first real stuck event with that machine. I guess I have been getting over-confident and its really wet.

W.A.M.'s are nice but they can turn a minor mistake into a huge P.I.T.A.

4. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i've slid off into no no land several times, i just always keep a two ton comealong and 100ft of rope in the truck. it came in real handy about three days ago:D

5. olkeith

olkeith LawnSite Member

I use a boat winch, have it mounted to a 2" square tube that fits into a standard 2" receiver hitch. My Dixie Chopper has a 2" receiver on the rear so I can pull from the Chopper, from the truck or from any tree or stump that is within reach. The boat winch uses nylon strap so it is very light and stores in my truck box. Works well for loading or pulling a mower that won't start onto my trailer as well since I have also welded a 2" receiver on the front rail of my trailer.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Does this mower have four wheel drive?

7. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i believe the jd 1600's come standard with 4 wheel drive. I know all the other W.A.M.'s do. I learned along time ago that 4 wheel drive does not keep me from getting things stuck though.:D I think sometimes i almost get over confident having 4 wheel drive. Anyway to the subject of winches, i bought a $89 power winch from Northern Tool that fits on a 2" ball. Or i hook a piece of small chain onto the mower frame and can pull the Z out of about anywhere. I think it is a good thing to have on your truck.

8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

The reason I brought this thread up is because I mow a property with a friend and I don't think one week has gone by where at least one of the machines haven't got stuck to some degree. Today was BAD. Only 1 machine got stuck, but it got stuck 2 times and doubled our cutting time on this property :angry: The machine has a 72" deck and is pretty darn heavy. I would think that a winch mounted to the front of the deck would work wonders as there are so many trees around this place to hook up to.

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Come Along

10. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

But to use a come-along you have to go back to the truck and get it, get a rope, and a sling to put around whatever you want to attach the come-along to. Now you have to put the sling around your anchor, attach the come-along to it, thread the rope into the come-along, attach the rope to the machine, take up the slack, crank it out, loosen rope, untie from machine, take rope out of come-along, take come-along off of sling, take sling off of anchor, take all 3 back to truck.

Winch: extend cable, wrap cable around suitable anchor, pull machine in from operator's chair. Get off machine, let slack into the winch cable, unwrap cable, wind up cable and go. If it is too far for the winch cable, get rope and use as bridge between fully extended winch cable and anchor.