mower won't fit through gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenthumbGA, Jul 16, 2005.

1. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

What about taking the gate apart just for the cutting.
    Only on chain link of course.

2. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Get a smaller mower to fit through gated properties?

Jason

3. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

I have some small ones but I want to use the 48". Don't have the money right now for either the w/b or 34/36 rider.
    I just spent a half hour reading the debate about these concepts.
    I am just thinking that it would only take a minute with a cordless to take the four screws off the corner and pull the fence back a little.
    I know this sounds extreme but when there it grass on the other side, I've got to mow that stuff...

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with chain link fences is pulling them back together. You will need a come along.
    If the gate is close to 48, you might be able to work it through. Nose/one caster first, then slide the back.

5. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

its funny im reading this, just yesterday i saw a guy putting back a fence he took apart because his craftsman rider didnt fit. i that happened to my fence i would be pissed

6. Lawnmedics

Lawnmedics LawnSite Member

Just picked up 36 inch walkbehind to fit through gates. There are plenty of accounts out there for the taking if you pick up a 36" mower. I have a 48", and two 60" ztr's and never thought it was worth it to have a small walkbehind till I picked this one up cheap. Look around you might get lucky.

7. Southern Pride Lawn

Southern Pride Lawn LawnSite Member

what we have done is buy a floating deck 48'' wb, and a spare 36'' floating deck. it takes only 10min to change out the decks and we can easily fit thou the gate then.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Double post..............................

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If there ain't that much grass, learn to do it with your trimmer.

I've got a couple of yards I just use the trimmer, faster than push mowing and I can't get the 48" wb in the gate without jockeying through the gate.

They're areas of about 1k sq ft. each, takes about 5-10 minutes with an Echo 261t.

After 5-10 years of trimming, you get pretty smooth at trimming. Even to the point where you could do a whole yard if that's all the equipment you had for whatever reason.

Now I'm trying to work on my trimmer's striping pattern.

10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i think i'd rather use a push mower than the echo 261t. it gets hotter than fire after 5 minutes and burns your forearm up.